• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worms!

QueenGee

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've read an awful lot about meal worms, everything from don't feed them to it's okay if they have plenty of other things in their diet. It appears the issue is possible impaction from the chitin? The local pet store I purchased Drogon from says they feed them, and their beardies always seem healthy and alert. All of their advice regarding lights, supplements, other foods, etc. was on point with what I have read here.

I would just avoid them, but he doesn't always bother with the crickets. Sometimes he pounces three or four, which I figure is good at his size, since they're medium/large. Other days he won't eat them at all and only chows a little of his greens. I tried a few very small mealworms in his dish, and he went for them quickly. I was afraid to feed any more.

I'm sure that there are varying opinions here as well, and I'd like to hear them. Does anyone feed mealworms? If so, how long have you been doing it without any problems? Also what is the favored worm for juveniles if you aren't feeding mealworms? I've got four pet stores and another pet supply store nearby that I can check, and possibly they can order another kind of worm. Or if they are more easily kept alive than crickets I'm sure there are online sources.

I have found the Dubia roaches at a store, but they seemed large for him, so I was hoping I can supplement the crickets with some kind of worm for protein.

BeardedDragon's°For°Life

Hatchling Dragon
Hey! Here's a list of worms that I really like feeding my Beardie :)

1. Phoenix Worms- These are a really good staple food for your Beardie and are packed with calcium. I usually just get mine online. Like.. maybe 10 dollars for 100 large Phoenix worms on amazon. You can feed as many as you'd like.

2. Hornworms- These are a good, healthy snacks for any beardie. Adult hornworms can be a bit big. So I just buy them as babies. They are high in calcium and water. They are very soft, which makes them easy to eat and digest. JUST, I wouldn't feed too many at once because of all of the moisture in the worm could lead to diarrhea.

3. Silkworms- Are a Very healthy worm for bearded dragons. They are high in calcium, protein, and vitamin B. I, personally haven't used these worms yet. So I can't say much about them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed dubia roaches and have a colony of them, I also feed supers, butterworms, waxworms, phoenix worms... you can order dubia nymphs (babies) that you can feed and they are easy to maintain and are super nutritious! dubia are edible and are very meaty so as long as the feeder is not wider than the space between their eyes they should be fine..

Latest posts