• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why do I even bother

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

Bit of a rant here....

I was at another forum (which will not be named) and there was a discussion about substrate (as always to sand or not to sand). The thread started with somebody posting about why sand should not be used, gave the usual excuses of unhygienic, impaction, they don't live on sand but claypans, etc.. etc.. (fair enough). They even posted pics of Australia to show some terra. Anyway I posted stating how sand could be used and the "proper" way to use it (silly me should have just left that alone but hey....). I wrote a rather long post on how you could "tweak" the husbandry practices and make sand usable for people. I posted pics of the Australian landscape (my own pics) as some of you guys know I have crossed this vast land of ours. I have been to every pagona species' teritory (except P. microlepidota) so i have first hand experience on what's "natural". Well instead of taking this post as an informative post straight from the horses mouth so to speak (I mean how many aussies come to US based forums to begin with), it was removed as it did not conform with the caresheet love. It did not meet the standards of BD keepers who have had less than a years experience with the species. Again, I should know better by now... WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER?

My rant....

Thank God for this place where I can speak up without being flamed or ousted.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Deleted your post? That is ridiculous. Sorry that you experienced that. Close minded people really get under my skin. Many paths can lead to the same destination when it comes to bearded dragon care.

Not to get on the sand band wagon, but I have used sand. I've even used calci-sand. We sifted it 3 times before Bernie was put in the viv. I'm not a fan of sand, but agree and understand it can be a substrate if used properly. It requires a lot of work.

I switched to tile. And in the back of my mind, I wonder if tile is a good solution. We replaced the sand with tile for his 4th bday. So, he was on sand for 2 years. We used reptile carpet his first year. Anyway, he passed 3 months after being on tile at 4 years old. Didn't seal it. It fit the viv and was ceramic tile....I still recommend tile. I don't have any concrete evidence that tile is bad and I know folks who have used it a lot longer than I did.

Anyway, glad you joined this US forum and glad you feel free to speak your mind.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We are more then happy to have your here :)

As for the other people, it is there loss because you are full of great information. Too bad it was deleted someone may have listen to what you had to say.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Arggggggggg, that just sucks.
I dont use sand mysef, but not because of I dont want to. I actually like the way enclosures with sand loks like. If it was less work (yeah Im LAZY) I'd probably give it a go. Tiles are just easier for me. But to each his own and to delete it is rediculous. Somebody might have gotten good use of the advise given.

Mybe you should make a post here on "the proper use of sand" or something like that. Then at least its out there for those who want to use the info :-\

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Francis... You bother because you CARE ! Thank the Goddess we can reap those benefits !
Oh and to switch things around... how many Americans go to Aussie forums ? ;)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how many Americans go to Aussie forums ?

Dont know any . . . but I dont care if the Forum is Egyptian, Bulgarian or Martian, as long as the members are friendly / helpfull / open to suggestions and can tolerate lots of questions

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Mybe you should make a post here on "the proper use of sand" or something like that. Then at least its out there for those who want to use the info :-\

I think that is a good idea, I am interested in this. I love to learn new things and see others ideas, don't think I outgrew the curiosity of a child.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feel that dear. I've tried to point out to some, that those that really know are leaving the net. Tired of having their information slurred, told they don't know what they're talking about, and being insulted by those still wet behind the ears. It don't matter how much somebody reads, if they don't (or can't) do, they don't truly KNOW.

Information like yours is more valuable than mine (in my opinion) anyday because it shows me exactly what is lacking in the same species in my country that is raised CB. You're not wrong in what you witness, because it's real. And Like it or not, what we witness (no matter how close to nature we try to make that be) is still only a facade. This hobby has become too truly narcissistic to admit that. Hence why they've created what they have.

zebraflavencs said:
Francis... You bother because you CARE ! Thank the Goddess we can reap those benefits !
Oh and to switch things around... how many Americans go to Aussie forums ? ;)

I do. But never am i cocky enough to think I know better than the people who actually practice what i consider natural husbandry. Their own duplication of their terrain.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is bull poo Francis. Free thinking spirits usually get burned at the stake at forums like those and are motivation for me to keep mine as open minded as possible. I rarely go on them and when I do I always seem to stir up "trouble" too. I think you are in good company. I go on Aussie forums thanks to you and it has helped me tons to find even more resources on the Aussie species I keep and the ones I love but will never own. Those people who deleted your post will learn the hard way one day that not being open to other suggestions may have actually done them good.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Really sorry to hear that, Francis. Too bad you weren't able to copy and paste, here, what you'd taken time to write, there, before it was deleted. I, too, would be very interested in reading what you have to say about how to properly utilize sand in a beardie enclosure.

Personally, I used to suggest tile as the only substrate I'd ever use based on what I either read or had been told was proper substrate for beardies. But since I've had mine for 4 years, I no longer make those suggestions....as I've learned first-hand the negatives involved with having a female beardie on tile. If I knew 4 years ago what I know, now, I would have never put tile in my female's enclosure. However, three years ago, I thought my female was a male. LOL!

At any rate, we do tend to have a rather open-minded forum, here....and for that, I'm very thankful.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Craiger

If I knew 4 years ago what I know, now, I would have never put tile in my female's enclosure.

When you say females enclosure, is this do to the digging they do when they get ready to lay eggs?

Fliehigh

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fliehigh said:
Hi Craiger

If I knew 4 years ago what I know, now, I would have never put tile in my female's enclosure.

When you say females enclosure, is this do to the digging they do when they get ready to lay eggs?

Fliehigh

Yup!

I have non-adhesive linoleum stuck in there on top of the tile. It's helped keep her from filing her nails down too much when she goes to digging. Doesn't eliminate it......just not as abrasive.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for all the support guys, that's why I love this place. Smart open minded people populate this place, not mindless echoes which merely repeat what's been said as gospel.

I may take you guys up on the suggestion of creating a sand post once I've calmed down lol.

See my signature to see how I really feel.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:

Craiger said:
Really sorry to hear that, Francis. Too bad you weren't able to copy and paste, here, what you'd taken time to write, there, before it was deleted. I, too, would be very interested in reading what you have to say about how to properly utilize sand in a beardie enclosure.

Done it's in the habitat forum section. ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mybe you should make a post here on "the proper use of sand" or something like that. Then at least its out there for those who want to use the info

Quote from: Craiger on August 16, 2010, 06:27:10 PM

Done it's in the habitat forum section.

Thanx Francis, will def give it a read.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
See my signature to see how I really feel.

Are you refering to "G'day from the land of the dragons"?

j/k.... ;)

The world is full of HAPPY people! :D

Latest posts