• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why are humans surprised when a wild animal acts like one?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/24/killer.whale.trainer.death/index.html

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/feb/24/killer-whale-kills-trainer-seaworld-dawn-brancheau/

A very experienced SeaWorld trainer appears to have been grabbed by one of the Orca whales and dragged under water, drowning.

I feel bad for her family and loved ones, but even they have stated that she would not want the animal to be put down. This is, apparently, the third time this particular whale has been involved in a death. There are also reports from eyewitnesses that this whale was acting "like an ornery child" in the previous show and that it seemed agitated (a warning, perhaps?)

I am just stunned by the comments to some of these news stories that we should "fillet the whale" or "fish sticks for everyone!"

Sick. Just sick. Perhaps the friggin' whale is trying to TELL US SOMETHING. Maybe he is DONE being at SeaWorld.

I am angry on behalf of the animal. Animals DO try to communicate with humans... why do we not listen?? :mad:

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lexi, I'm with you. I admit that I have gone to Seaworld and zoos and such. I was impressed with the shows. But in the back of my mind, I kept thinking that it is so sad that these animals have such a small enclosure when they could have the entire ocean. I understand some are in rehab and would never survive in the wild, but their tanks are not big at all.

Yes, it is unfortunate. But I agree that the majority of humans are close minded individuals. That is even sadder than the loss of this trainer.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It just amazes me that SeaWorld officials act surprised that this could happen... frankly, they should consider themselves lucky for every time this didn't happen. They've made a lot of money off these animals, and the animals have cooperated with them pretty consistently over the period of years SeaWorld has been in business.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, I agree. I tend to get a bit infuriated every time I hear of an animal in captivity being put down due to an attack. It is not right.

As you've stated, the animals were giving signs that they were not in the mood to follow commands, but no one chose to recognize them.

Another viewpoint is that most animals don't know their strength when it comes to mingling with humans. I admit that I didn't read the article, but the whale could have been 'playing'. The whale does not have the brain power to know that humans cannot stay under water indefinitely. It looks and sounds to us like a brutal attack, but the whale does not have those emotions or feelings to understand that. Make sense?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Another viewpoint is that most animals don't know their strength when it comes to mingling with humans. I admit that I didn't read the article, but the whale could have been 'playing'. The whale does not have the brain power to know that humans cannot stay under water indefinitely. It looks and sounds to us like a brutal attack, but the whale does not have those emotions or feelings to understand that. Make sense?

Exactly.. and, it was mentioned that perhaps the whale was playing. Like you said, how is the whale to know that humans can't survive under water? It infuriates me when humans automatically interpret an animal's behavior as an intent to harm just because that happened to be the result.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep. We are supposed to be the superior beings, but the majority can't comprehend that not all living things think like us. Too much negativity in the world makes the majority loose sight of reality.

Another example is bearded dragons. Don't mean to get off topic, but this keeps running in my mind. So many people think that since beardies are cute and fun and they need to have a companion. So, they get a second and put it in the viv with the other. It is sooo hard for them to understand that they are doing harm to both beardies. It is too hard to beleive those cute little faces have an aggressive side.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I always think about that, too, when people say "I think my beardie is lonely", because as humans we would be, but they are not humans. Seems a simple concept but a lot of people have a hard time grasping that, and the result is injury or death to the animal(s) that trusted us to know what's best for them. Very sad. :(

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lexi said:
It just amazes me that SeaWorld officials act surprised that this could happen... frankly, they should consider themselves lucky for every time this didn't happen. They've made a lot of money off these animals, and the animals have cooperated with them pretty consistently over the period of years SeaWorld has been in business.

Suprised is all an act. It's the third time the whale involved has done this, though i think this is the first time it has been fatal.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I agree with all of you... I too feel bad for the family but this trainer knew the risks. It is sad for both animal and trainer. Some animals should just not be for our entertainment. Example: Alligators, lions, tigers (you know list can go on) but people just never learn and the animals pay for it.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
lexi said:

Suprised is all an act. It's the third time the whale involved has done this, though i think this is the first time it has been fatal.

Nope this is the 3rd death the whale has been involved with.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It's unfortunate that he was placed into captivity to begin with, but now that he's there at Seaworld there really isn't anything that can be done. However "done" with the place he may be, he can never be released into the wild or anything. He'd be dead within the week. Orcas raised in captivity just don't have the behavioral traits and honed social skills to survive out in the ocean.

This being said, I'm still angry with the way things are done there. Orcas are my favorite monochromatic animal. D:

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
valkryja said:
It's unfortunate that he was placed into captivity to begin with, but now that he's there at Seaworld there really isn't anything that can be done. However "done" with the place he may be, he can never be released into the wild or anything. He'd be dead within the week. Orcas raised in captivity just don't have the behavioral traits and honed social skills to survive out in the ocean.

This being said, I'm still angry with the way things are done there. Orcas are my favorite monochromatic animal. D:

I disagree... and apparently, I'm not the only one:

"We would like to see respectful retirement to a sea pen, where he can begin to explore a more natural life and live out his life in the most natural setting possible" said Courtney Vail, Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.

There are, obviously, no guarantees that the 12,000 lb Orca would survive if released. He was wild caught at approximately 2 years of age (he is now 30 years old). That said, he wouldn't just be dumped in the ocean... there are programs for reacclimating these animals to their natural habitat.

Take this into consideration also: in the state of Texas, a horse is recommended to be housed on NO LESS than 5 acres PER HORSE. Many times, people will try to keep one horse on one acre, and the state removes the animal from the premises. A horse weighs around 1,000 lbs. An orca weighs 5,000-8,000 lbs on average (this particular Orca weighs over 12,000 lbs). A performance tank (usually larger than the holding tanks/housing tanks) are much smaller than one acre! In the wild, Orcas form a large social groups called pods, consisting of 40 or more members. They travel in pods and sub-pods, often groups of up to 20 whales or more with individuals scattered over a wide area. Resident pods permanently inhabit a particular area that may cover over 800 sq km (308 sq mi). Transient pods do not have a permanent territory and sometimes swim more than 1,000 km (600 mi) in two or three days.

Frankly, I don't know which is more cruel... putting him down or keeping him at SeaWorld. Of course SeaWorld officials are going to say it "can't be done"... Tilicum has sired more than 13 offspring, and is worth millions upon millions of dollars! Largely because of his offspring, an official permit to capture these animals in the wild has not even been applied for in the last 20 years.

I wouldn't be trusting anything SeaWorld says about whether or not he could be successfully rehabilitated and released. If they're keeping him (which they appear to be from recent reports) believe me when I say it has NOTHING to do with their concern about his welfare and everything to do with how much money he is worth to them.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just heard that she was wearing a pony tail (which she apparently never did) and she lean her head on the whale (which she apparently had never done). They think it may of thought it was a fish. The whale grabbed the pony tail and pulled her under and she drowned. Again whales are not play things.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Boogiesmom said:
Just heard that she was wearing a pony tail (which she apparently never did) and she lean her head on the whale (which she apparently had never done). They think it may of thought it was a fish. The whale grabbed the pony tail and pulled her under and she drowned. Again whales are not play things.

I heard that, as well. There is video that has come out now of the two of them playing and interacting right before the incident. It certainly does not show any behavior which would indicate an aggressive state, however, she was chest deep in water (apparently on a submerged platform) with him, which is against SeaWorld's policy when it comes to this particular animal. I'm not saying it's her fault or anything like that, just that the sheer size of this animal makes it more dangerous to be in the water with him than with the smaller Orcas. She was also feeding him right before it happened, so it seems logical that he may have thought her ponytail was a fish.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lexi I couldnt agree more...you cant blame the animal for acting like that...id be pissed if i was in such a small enclosure too...what happened to the trainer is just a risk of the job which she was well aware of when she started there...its unfortunate that she died but like you said, im sure the whale was giving signs of being irritated that others just ignored

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardielover17 said:
Lexi I couldnt agree more...you cant blame the animal for acting like that...id be pissed if i was in such a small enclosure too...what happened to the trainer is just a risk of the job which she was well aware of when she started there...its unfortunate that she died but like you said, im sure the whale was giving signs of being irritated that others just ignored

That is exactly how I feel. I too am sorry about this but I truly do not feel it was the animals fault. My husband said he was surprised that they do not have those small compact air breathers attached to their suits. He said that would give them about 5 minutes to wait for help. I don't know if it would of worked or not but it is a thought.

Latest posts