• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When you do right the Navy just piles it on

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I checked on board this new command and immediately became their "go to guy" because i still carry the mentality that I adapted from my time with the Marines of get it done now and get it done right. Well because of this I have been given many collateral duties (side jobs so to speak) I am the assistant Emergency Services Officer, a member of the Base security team, and Assistant Navy Career Counselor (all on top of running the chapel that i work at).

Well as of today I have one more thing on my plate. We have this problem sailor that is new to the Navy. Is a pathological liar and overall just self destructive. His OIC (Officer In Charge) tasked me this morning with being this turds mentor and asked me to "Fix him." So I can now add that to my list of far to many things that I am doing at the moment (all this sh!t is on top of me attending college currently, trying to have a life with my wife, and still have 14 baby dragons and 2 adults that I am rehoming lol).

Damn me for being "motivated" lol i guess i made my own bed here.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow that does sound like a lot for one plate. I'm sure it will all work out eventually!

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
God does this ever bring back memories! Yea the Marine Corps is definitely like that and they reward you the same way, with more stuff to do! Wish I had a dollar for every turd I have had to "fix". What is it with the new generation of service members? I blame it on basic being so soft nowadays and the overly strict no hazing rules.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, you know they have fricken stress cards in boot camp now. If a recruit feels overly stressed they can pull their stress card and get a 30 fricken minute break. Not to mention they come out of boot camp with zero military bearing now. Its sad to see what the future of the military leadership is lol

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
Yeah, you know they have fricken stress cards in boot camp now. If a recruit feels overly stressed they can pull their stress card and get a 30 fricken minute break. Not to mention they come out of boot camp with zero military bearing now. Its sad to see what the future of the military leadership is lol

STRESS CARDS!!!
I thought it was boot camp and not a kinder garden, since when did the military start running day care centres.
What are they going to do in a fire fight, pull out their stress cards LOL.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Supposedly the Navy, being more of a long range combat force (excluding folks like me, corpsman, seabees, and the slew of spec ops organizations in the Navy), feels that less emphasis should be put on physical training and stressing out/breaking down recruits and more emphasis should be put on training their intelligence. I fear in another 15-20 years (when I retire) Itll be a button pusher Navy.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea, just for the short time I was in I saw dramatic changes in attitude with each fresh crop of boots (aka new guys). They'd try to talk to you like you were a drinking buddy or something. Best believe they got locked on quick. I think every problem sailor/marine should be forced to spend like 3 months in a USMC infantry battalion. They'd walk away from that a changed person for sure. I hope the Navy doesn't wind up being button pushers cuz yall have a lot of good guys, corpsman, RP's, Seabees, Seals aka the modern day UDT. Don't even get me started on stress cards, one guy I was yelling at tried to pull out his stress card on me, I ripped it into pieces, through them across the room and made him pick up every piece by hand and then throw them away, last time a stress card was ever seen in my shop!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Yea, just for the short time I was in I saw dramatic changes in attitude with each fresh crop of boots (aka new guys). They'd try to talk to you like you were a drinking buddy or something. Best believe they got locked on quick. I think every problem sailor/marine should be forced to spend like 3 months in a USMC infantry battalion. They'd walk away from that a changed person for sure. I hope the Navy doesn't wind up being button pushers cuz yall have a lot of good guys, corpsman, RP's, Seabees, Seals aka the modern day UDT. Don't even get me started on stress cards, one guy I was yelling at tried to pull out his stress card on me, I ripped it into pieces, through them across the room and made him pick up every piece by hand and then throw them away, last time a stress card was ever seen in my shop!
Wait you are saying that he pulled it once he was in the fleet? LMAO I can only imagine the conversation that took place in the NCO's lounge after that one lmao.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea, he was what we called "special". I can tell stories for days on this guy, like how the day before we were supposed to deploy to Iraq we did a gear inspection and he was missing HALF of his flak jacket components, lol. I miss it sometimes as crazy as the lifestyle was. I am thinking about applying for the Army's warrant officer helicopter flight program, once I get done with school. Or maybe since I will have a degree I can just get a commission. If the marines would let me fly I probably would have stayed in. In the meantime I need to get vision correction surgery to qualify for the Army's program.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can get into the army's warrant officer program with only an associates degree. The Warrant Officer Rotary Wing Pilot program was one of the things I was looking at for career progression. Unfortunately during my flight physical it was found that I developed a slight case of scoliosis during my first enlistment. So, with that I started pursuing my Bachelors degree and eventually Masters degree to pursue direct commissioning from the enlisted world to the officer world as a Health Care Administrator.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know, Brian...one of the things I've learned over the years is the disadvantage of being really good at what you do. Those of us like that will get relied on and overloaded while the lazies just get lazier. I now know it's all about timing...and how to pace yourself. It's still hard for me to do, because I like to put my nose to the grind....but it's getting easier the older I get. ;)

I sincerely hope it doesn't stress you out. Too much stress can lead to burnout...and I'd hate to see that. Just do what you can and make time for those most important in your life. They're the ones that'll be there when your days are coming to an end.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
You know, Brian...one of the things I've learned over the years is the disadvantage of being really good at what you do. Those of us like that will get relied on and overloaded while the lazies just get lazier. I now know it's all about timing...and how to pace yourself. It's still hard for me to do, because I like to put my nose to the grind....but it's getting easier the older I get. ;)

I sincerely hope it doesn't stress you out. Too much stress can lead to burnout...and I'd hate to see that. Just do what you can and make time for those most important in your life. They're the ones that'll be there when your days are coming to an end.

The fear of possibly burning out is why the breeding of dragons was given up. Just too much stuff all on one plate. Something had to give way and it wasnt going to be my wife or the military lol so dragons drew the short straw.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
The fear of possibly burning out is why the breeding of dragons was given up. Just too much stuff all on one plate. Something had to give way and it wasnt going to be my wife or the military lol so dragons drew the short straw.

Totally understand that....and I feel you made the best decision.

Latest posts