• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do when I have road trips and such

redsided

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have 5 abberent garter snakes. They eat every day, I have a strict light schedule, water is changed every morning.. But when I leave for 3-4 days there's no problem feeding them a good meal, putting in a second water bowl, and turning the lights off for 4 days, or even a week, while I'm not there..

But what do you do with a bearded dragon when you're away? How long can they go without feeding? I know it's not like snakes, who could go months without eating, but is a few days ok, or would i leave food in there. I have no one local who I would trust caring for them while I'm gone so I would have to be able to leave them alone every now and then if I were to even own one.

Just thē kind of stuff I consider before getting an animal, I don't even have one yet just wondering

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you frequently have to leave it alone for days on end with no one to care for it, maybe this is not the best choice of pets for you at this time.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
You definitely cannot leave a baby dragon by itself because it needs to eat everyday! I honestly don't think you should leave any aged dragon alone for days. I agree with Germ, if you have to go away from your home a lot I wouldn't get one. Beardie's need affection too on a daily basis and I think if your dragon did not get attention it would become hostile. I may be wrong but that is my opinion. Hope I could help!

redsided

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's my concern..

It's not frequent trips, but sometimes, like every few months, we gotta go somewhere.. I won't get one if it's actually a concern, but would 3-4 days every few months actually hurt? Like how long would the lettuce and stuff last before going bad?

I've wanted one of these for awhile I don't want to have to drop the idea because of the occasional trip but I will. But if there's actually a way to manage it let me know

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I left for 5 days. I had to load my beardie, his tank and all his belongings and take them to a friends house to watch him. Every single day he has to be fed fresh veggies and crickets, roaches whatever you chose. Every morning his lights have to be turned on and 12 hours later his lights have to be turned off. Not to mention misting and bathing. You can not just leave live cricket's in his tank because they will climb on top of the beardie and bite him. I wouldn't recommend leaving him alone one day let alone 3-4.

I also took my snakes to my friend too so she could take care of them for those 5 days.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You can get a timer for the lights, if it's just for like a weekend, you would probably be okay because you could feed them right before you left on Friday and when you got back again on Sunday. I wouldn't recommend it for a very often thing, and it's not very nice to the bd but it would be possible. Any longer than that would be too much :(. Of course, this is all personal opinion and probably would be frowned upon. BD's like their schedules. They don't necessarily adhere to them, but they like us to have things available at the same times each day.

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
I guess mine is just spoiled lol. It is a personal opinion. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Let's say his heat bulb went out though like the first day what could possibly happen?

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
Also a possible solution....call any reptile stores in your area and see if they do boarding. There is one near me that has a room full of beardies that people pay to leave there while their gone out of town. If your willing to pay for it that could be a option.

redsided

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll look into that.. I don't want to push it though, i never really thought about this, having always kept snakes.. just leave them, take the dog... but if they need that much daily attention and feeding I don't want to push it.

Again, no one to take it too, but I guess I'll check for boarding.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Also a possible solution....call any reptile stores in your area and see if they do boarding. There is one near me that has a room full of beardies that people pay to leave there while their gone out of town. If your willing to pay for it that could be a option.
There are quite a few pet shops, not the chain ones of course, but the locally owned ones that do boarding for beardies. Usually they keep it fairly reasonable.

redsided

Bearded Dragon Egg
I called the only 2 local stores around besides petsmart.. they do not board reptiles.

Been thinking about it, I could probably pull it off keeping one of these but I think I'll wait... Definately something I'll pursue but not at this time. I don't want to keep something if I can't provide the best care and I'm not sure I can. I'll work on expanding my snake collection and breeding for now I think.

http://YouTube.com/ThamnophisMan

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
That is a very responsible decision. The web and pet stores say that these are the best STARTER pet that's why I bought ours for my 9 year old but honestly I don't think that he can handle it by himself. I'm not saying your 9 or not mature but it's very misleading making it seem like it's so easy. Many people on here have said and I say too that it's like taking care of a baby. I wish you the best with your snakes.

Latest posts