• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is she doing?

Becky_and_Smaug

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

I just joined the forum because I have a question about my beardie's strange behaviour this morning.

So my bearded dragon's name is Smaug, she is about 4 years old and has been acting very weird today. She seemed to be running laps in her tank so I took her out and let her come hang out with me. I was lying down with my legs up and she climbed up on my leg, fell off, rolled over on my bed and then climbed back onto my stomach. This is where she started acting really strange. She walked back over to my leg and then started to wiggle her butt ALOT. Honestly, the first thing it made me think of is when my dog humps a pillow (sorry, but that's what it looked like haha). I have never seen her do this before. She then was walking around my bed still wiggling her butt, I then noticed that she was raising her tail and her vent was starting to open so I assumed she needed to poop. I put her back in her tank and she continued to walk around in the same wiggling motion, only to have a tiny amount of liquid come out her vent. She then started to do the same wiggling motion on the various 'furniture' in her tank. While she was wiggling she was also doing quite a lot of head bobbing, something that I rarely see her do.

She has since stopped the wiggling and is now more interested in trying to climb the walls of her tank (and then when I take her out she just wants to go back in her tank, she is weird). It is worth mentioning that she laid her first clutch of eggs (infertile) about 2-3 weeks ago and also went to the vets the day after for a check-up, where aside from a callus on her side she is in healthy condition. She has been pooping almost everyday this week, usually she only does a larger poop about every 2 days but this week they have all been smaller. She has not pooped today however. She has been eating celery stalks and leaves, endive, bell peppers, carrot and romaine lettuce with the occasion few chickpeas thrown in for her salads this past week as well as flukers buffet blend pellet and freeze dried crickets and mealworms. The vet suggested that I cut down the pellet food for an increased salad diet and I have, the salad is now about 75% of her diet and the pellet/freeze dried insects are 25%. I also have been dusting her salads with calcium every other day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why she was wiggling her butt so much and why she seemed to be trying to poop but nothing came out? Is it possible when she fell off my leg she hurt herself? She only would have fallen maybe 30cm onto my bed.

Thanks for your help,

Becky and Smaug

Becky_and_Smaug

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome Becky & Smaug! I love the name Smaug by the way. How is she doing now? Is she still showing this behavior?

Hi Mushuandcricket! Thanks, when I was picking names it was between Smaug and Norbert (Dragon from Harry Potter), also at the time I had been told she was a male. :)

Since Monday she has been freaking me out even more with her behaviour, on Tuesday she laid a single egg which I thought might have been left over from her first clutch. But then she still kept acting strange (black beard, head bobbing, wiggling, and "twisting" around) so I brought her into the vets today. They took a couple xrays and discovered that she is gravid again, the vet also said that her strange behaviour was most likely just hormones and her getting ready to lay her eggs. Since I have gotten home she has laid 3 more eggs and I finally got to see her lay one! I wasn't around when she laid her first clutch or the one on Tuesday. So she is doing good, and I probably didn't have to bring her to the vets but better be safe than sorry.

Becky_and_Smaug

Bearded Dragon Egg
Me too! I made her a lay box last night (a large plastic tub with damp vermiculite) and she dug a nice big hole and laid 18 more eggs. So in total this clutch had 22 eggs! Poor little girl looked so tired after, but she seemed to be doing good this morning.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My girl is a retired breeder. And - she entices my boy to do his best. I, of course, intercept amorous interaction, but it makes me wonder if she LIKES the process (from insemination all the way through to egg laying) ???

Toni17

Hatchling Dragon
New to this whole dragon scene. Turns out the two females dragons my son has are actually a male and a female. I can home last Friday to find the female laying eggs. I did some running around to build a incubator and the two dragons are now separated. How do I know if the eggs are fertile? I know about shining a light to look for veins, but how long do I wait to do that?

Gh0stL0rd87

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm starting to notice the same behavior with my female after she mated with my male and about a week later is when I noticed her shimmy her hind legs and tail... I've been feeding them wax worms, meal worms, horn worms, and Dubai roaches... I'm a little worried about her(Pebbles)...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm starting to notice the same behavior with my female after she mated with my male and about a week later is when I noticed her shimmy her hind legs and tail... I've been feeding them wax worms, meal worms, horn worms, and Dubai roaches... I'm a little worried about her(Pebbles)...
Please lay off the wax worms they are too fatty and can cause liver issues - shimmy please explain- can you record on YouTube and post the link- what are you using for a uvb? Coil or long tube fixture?

Latest posts