• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vet visit

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It sounds like the vet tech is a lot more open minded, which is important. A diagnosis shouldn't be ruled out just because it's uncommon - case in point. Thankfully you know the issue and can get things sorted out in time for brumation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, I don't understand why they would say it wasn't problematic, it's a tapeworm. 1 I don't want our baby sick 2 I can't afford to feed a worm too lol. We could tell the vet tech wanted to treat it but then after talking to the vet she came back into the office and switched up saying she's fine with the tapeworm. I'm not sure if Spyra is old enough to go into brumation but yes I would like to take care of it before that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm shocked that the vet would think a tapeworm is alright. Tapeworms take nutrients away from their host, which is bad for any living creature, human and beardie. So much for common sense haha. You two were on top of it though, Spyra was in good hands regardless of the vet's opinion. Mothers always know what's best :)

I'm not sure if she's old enough or not, but better safe than sorry. I keep looking for signs of slowing down in Ruth, but she's still full of energy. Maybe I'll get lucky this year! *fingers crossed*

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
I honestly don't think he paid much attention to it or even looked at all. He is a good vet, my first encounter with him he was very knowledgeable and caring. They had an emergency with another animal that wasn't doing too well so we mainly dealt with the vet tech we didn't see him at all. & She also stressed that tapeworms are very bad but definitely treatable, she had just never seen it in beardie.

Hopefully Ruth continues to be full of energy!! Never dealt with brumation but I'm sure it sucks not being able to play with them and love on em.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
^ I disagree Maddie . A "good" vet can identify a tapeworm egg and listens to their assistant when they point it out. More importantly they listen to paying client who are stating that they still see moving "worms" in their pets feces. For future concerns/issues I would really like to find a different vet.

Ruth is like "nope, no sleep for me" lol. She's got too much to see and do :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay okay you win [emoji23]

Haha yay me! #winning
sorry if that came off mean btw, I did not mean it in a "snippy" way at all :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
*Update*
So our girl got a little sick the other day. She had diarrhea and was a little lethargic afterwords. We immediately called the vet since the vet tech did tell us if we notice diarrhea to call. We are taking another sample to her Tuesday.

So far Spyra is now acting like her usual self, still eating like a horse and back to being energetic. Weve decided to put off treatment until Tuesday after we've had a chance to speak with the vet tech. I'm hoping now that she is having runny poop they will go ahead and treat her, this would make me feel much more at ease.

We also purchased a scale to monitor her weight just to make sure she isn't losing any. So far she's been a steady 302grams and has even grown to 17"! That's a plus that she is still growing so hopefully things aren't as bad as my paranoid mind has made them out to be *fingers crossed*

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We are pleased to say our vet FINALLY determined Spyra does in fact have tapeworm. It took her getting sick and us bringing another worm in to show them. She starts treatment tomorrow and should be in the clear within 2 weeks :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad they are going to finally treat for it! Let us know how things go.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sucks that it took her getting sick for them to treat her.. But hopefully soon she will be back to normal.. don't forget probiotics... :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sucks that it took her getting sick for them to treat her.. But hopefully soon she will be back to normal.. don't forget probiotics... :)

I feel so much more comfortable with an actual vet treating her. I'm not going to lie I was a little nervous to attempt treating her myself. Panacur is one thing but praziquantel is a different story.
Thankfully we have plenty of probiotic on deck and have been giving her daily doses.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Quick question. I'm just curious is the praziquantel going to flush the worms out of her? Like will we see a bunch in her poop? [emoji40]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Quick question. I'm just curious is the praziquantel going to flush the worms out of her? Like will we see a bunch in her poop? [emoji40]

likely... gag

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Definitely noticed worms today. Unfortunately they were still alive and moving around. I'm not sure how it suppose to work with tapeworm? Does anyone know if they should be dead or if it's normal to still see some alive?

I'd call the vet but honestly I don't trust his input. He told us the tapeworm was mucus until we told him it moves

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If I'm not mistaken, praziquantel makes the mouth incapable of latching onto the intestinal wall. They have no choice but to go down the intestinal tract and be sent on their way. Finding them alive in the stool wouldn't be too terribly surprising. They won't live long outside of their host though. Better out than in! Seeing them in the stool, even if they're alive, is a good sign :)

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Here is the video of the worm seen today, 3 days after first dose of treatment.

Latest posts