• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uhm... Millipedes?

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've had my Satanic Leaf Tail for around a month and a week.
I sort of had a hunch something fishy was going on in the terrarium, and I was right. This morning I woke up to see two millipedes wiggling their way around inside of the tank. I am extremely freaked out and worried from this bug problem.
I was just wondering, how did they get there?
Are they a problem?
Could my leaf tail eat them? Is it safe?

Thanks you guys

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how did they get there? hmmmmmm..............

most likely they were relocated there by means of food, substrate, or decor.

Lets assume they didn't just come out of cage decor.

They won't hurt the geckos, as long as they're the small (less than 1 inch) type. Just dispose of them, and reclean the enclosure and it's decor. You really don't want the geckos eating them, because you're not sure where they came from. If you're feeding crickets, I think I know what you're encountering. They won't hurt your leaf tails....but they have no nutritional value.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you're feeding crickets, I think I know what you're encountering. They won't hurt your leaf tails....but they have no nutritional value.

im with Gina on this. if you are feeding crix than more than likely what these are are cleaner bugs, they help get rid of dead bodies and what not in your feeder bins.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
How did they get there? I don't know. Perhaps there were larvae in the substrate? I really couldn't tell you.
I feed my gecko crickets and nothing else. Now the millipedes have just shown up out of nowhere. The idea of having a self-producing feeder in the terrarium is really handy for the days where I am low on small crickets. I also like the idea of having a little guy who cruises around cleaning up decaying and rotting material. Saves me work ;)

I did some research at work today and found out through GeckosUnlimited that I can remove them by adding dry ice and hot water if the amount of millipedes get out of hand. I am mostly concerned with them multiplying. I do not want to wake up one day to a terrarium of a thousand millipedes.

Latest posts