• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two new baby beardies

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm new here, but was hoping I could run some thing by y'all and get some thought and suggestions.

I brought home an adorable little guy last week. He ate right away, though some days more than others, at least tried some veggies, is easily coaxed to drink from a water dish... On all accounts he's perfect. They said he's about 7 weeks old. He's even calm enough that my 9 year old can hold him.

Here's where I'm concerned. Yesterday I brought home one of his siblings. I just had to have him. He's so pretty and sweet. Unlike his brother, he hasn't eaten, although he has drank some water from my finger. My concern is how calm he is. I expect he might be a bit stressed from the move and I know that can cause him to stop eating. Both boys pretty much just lay under the basking light. Neither are too motivated to move around. The one I brought home first, Griffin, has gotten where he'll only eat if I hand feed him. His brother just seems almost too calm. I'm starting to worry that what I initially saw as sweet and calm might be lethargy and illness.

Is it too soon to worry? Should I give him a week to settle in before I become concerned about his lack of appetite? Also, should I refrain from handling them the first week or so?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
if your basking temps are good id just wait it out a bit could just be stress.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
its not a bad idea to let them get settled. under best of conditions, should only take few days to a week. try giving them a bath,sometimes that will jump start them a little. also wait a few weeks before takin them to the vet as the stress of a new environment can elevate cocidia levels, but, do take them to the vet for a fecal float. alot of times lethargy can be attributed to parasites and is easily treated.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well my basking temps definitely were not good. I had had to buy a new lamp because I accidentally dropped and broke the other. The new bulb I bought shattered about 10 min after I turned it on, possibly it got wet. The new bulb they gave me wasn't the same wattage as the previous. I started worrying about the temp this morning because the boys didn't feel as warm as before when I picked them up. I got a new thermometer to check it and it was stupid low for a basking spot. I upgraded the bulb and the lethargic one does seem more alert and although he hasn't eaten, I did see him at least tracking a cricket. It's a start. He also started opening his mouth but I'm hoping that he's regulating his temp and not being naughty. He closes his eyes a lot. Hoping things calm down soon and both boys are healthy.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Currently I have two Zilla lights in a double dome. One is a basking light and one is a UVB bulb. This isn't the boys permanent home. Long story short, there's a 40 gallon breeder currently occupied that will be theirs when I find the current occupant a new home. I've been told they can live fine together in the 40 gal, but I plan to house the seperately in the not too distant future.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no dragons are not very good together and two males is big trouble:eek:

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Indeed! There is no guarantee, of course, that they are both males, but even if one were a female I would seperate them. I certainly don't want siblings breeding. I'm pretty much going on how my luck runs, as far as the sex at the moment. All pets I get tend to turn out male... except my tarantulas. I've managed to end up with mostly females, which is wonderful with their longer lifespan. :)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How was the 1st dragon acting b4 the 2nd dragon was introduced 2 the enclosure? Get another enclosure 4 the 2nd dragon & I'm sure u will see a big difference in their behavior.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Bill. Housing dragons 2gether, especially males is very risky & can stress animals.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Griffin, the one I had first, is just the perfect little beardie baby. Even after adding the new dragon. He decided he didn't want to hunt for his crickets before I brought his brother home. He is quite eager to gobble them up if I hand them to him. He'll gladly sit there and take a dozen crickets from my hand. He appears to be quite healthy, gaining weight, growing, and behaving even now exactly the way I would expect him to. He's extremely alert. He has never been especially active, meaning he's not running all crazy all over the place. Before he decided he preferred me to hand feed him, he chased after the crickets like he is supposed to. I have had him for almost two weeks. He didn't seem too happy after I put the new bulb in after the other exploded, but now that I have the basking temp better, he is back to his old self. Even his brother is more alert since the temp has been corrected. The new boy still has no interest in eating, but that could very well just be a result of the stress of relocating.

How long do you think I can leave them together without having to worry about aggression? When I bought them, they were living with their siblings and by all accounts, fine. I know I should definitely seperate them before they reach sexual maturity, about 8 months from what I've read. So far they have been fine together and neither seem to care the other is there. They take turns climbing on each other, but I assume that's because neither has shown dominance over the other. They are about 7-8 weeks old, according to the breeder.

One other thing I noticed once the temperature was corrected, was the second one started having periods where he was breathing really hard. He opened his mouth most of the times, so I assume he is just regulating his internal temperature. Does that sound about right? I've yet to see Griffin display this type of behavior.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Griffin, the one I had first, is just the perfect little beardie baby. Even after adding the new dragon. He decided he didn't want to hunt for his crickets before I brought his brother home. He is quite eager to gobble them up if I hand them to him. He'll gladly sit there and take a dozen crickets from my hand. He appears to be quite healthy, gaining weight, growing, and behaving even now exactly the way I would expect him to. He's extremely alert. He has never been especially active, meaning he's not running all crazy all over the place. Before he decided he preferred me to hand feed him, he chased after the crickets like he is supposed to. I have had him for almost two weeks. He didn't seem too happy after I put the new bulb in after the other exploded, but now that I have the basking temp better, he is back to his old self. Even his brother is more alert since the temp has been corrected. The new boy still has no interest in eating, but that could very well just be a result of the stress of relocating.

How long do you think I can leave them together without having to worry about aggression? When I bought them, they were living with their siblings and by all accounts, fine. I know I should definitely seperate them before they reach sexual maturity, about 8 months from what I've read. So far they have been fine together and neither seem to care the other is there. They take turns climbing on each other, but I assume that's because neither has shown dominance over the other. They are about 7-8 weeks old, according to the breeder.

One other thing I noticed once the temperature was corrected, was the second one started having periods where he was breathing really hard. He opened his mouth most of the times, so I assume he is just regulating his internal temperature. Does that sound about right? I've yet to see Griffin display this type of behavior.
Aggression is definitely something 2 be concerned with however it does not have 2 be displayed in order to intimidate or add stress.

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Good news. New little one is eating. He's had almost a dozen medium crickets so far today and hunted them, unlike his lazy brother who still wants to be hand fed. I took Griffin out while little one ate. Thought it would be best to feed them separately. Both seem to be in good spirits and moving around more. I think the proper temps and a good night of sleep did wonders. Little one still has no name, now day three living with me.

Latest posts