• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two 75 watt bulbs for 40 gallon tank

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
One 100 watt basking light only got his basking spot up to 77, and he's a juvenile so he needs it higher so I switched to two 75 watt bulbs. If that seems to work is it okay to have two bulbs? If I need to can I have them at a higher wattage too? I just worry about too much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One 100 watt basking light only got his basking spot up to 77, and he's a juvenile so he needs it higher so I switched to two 75 watt bulbs. If that seems to work is it okay to have two bulbs? If I need to can I have them at a higher wattage too? I just worry about too much.
yes as long as your getting correct temps-- that is the main concern not how many but the temp-- what kind of bulb are you using -- brand? are they intense basking bulbs or are they a daytime bulb that has a coating on them like this https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-day...erm=4584688617261503&utm_content=All Products
You do not want a bulb like this they have a coating on them called neodymium --- you want a clear bright white bulb

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
yes as long as your getting correct temps-- that is the main concern not how many but the temp-- what kind of bulb are you using -- brand? are they intense basking bulbs or are they a daytime bulb that has a coating on them like this https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-daytime-heat-reptile-lamp/dp/123918?utm_id=401427327&msclkid=10b4813e0d311c91bd8fe0a472ab4655&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product Targets-Hard Goods-SSP-DDG&utm_term=4584688617261503&utm_content=All Products
You do not want a bulb like this they have a coating on them called neodymium --- you want a clear bright white bulb
I have one flood light and one repti basking spot lamp. Just swapped one out for the 100 watt so now I have a 100 watt and a 75 watt. Trying to get him up to temp now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one flood light and one repti basking spot lamp. Just swapped one out for the 100 watt so now I have a 100 watt and a 75 watt. Trying to get him up to temp now
Ok so those are good as those are bright white clear bulbs -- let me know what your getting for temps --

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so those are good as those are bright white clear bulbs -- let me know what your getting for temps --
About how long should I wait before checking the temps do you think? I want to make sure its all the way warmed up. Thank you for helping!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
About how long should I wait before checking the temps do you think? I want to make sure its all the way warmed up. Thank you for helping!
10 minutes or so maybe longer if the temp keeps going up --- it needs to be 95-100 w/ your probe-- if it goes higher than 110 its too hot and for his age you actually dont want it higher than 100 --- they wont bask unless they have a option of a lower temp so if your decor piece is giving different temp gradient you will be fine then he will pick a spot where his is most comfortable

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
10 minutes or so maybe longer if the temp keeps going up --- it needs to be 95-100 w/ your probe-- if it goes higher than 110 its too hot and for his age you actually dont want it higher than 100 --- they wont bask unless they have a option of a lower temp so if your decor piece is giving different temp gradient you will be fine then he will pick a spot where his is most comfortable
He is 4 months old, and there are multiple basking spots. What temp should the hottest one be? Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is 4 months old, and there are multiple basking spots. What temp should the hottest one be? Thank you
110--- 105-110-- and thats great he has multiple spots to sit --- when he hits around 6 months he probably wont like those real hot temps --- so make sure your watching his behavior he may start basking at the lower temp of 95-100 -- depends on the dragon ---

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
110--- 105-110-- and thats great he has multiple spots to sit --- when he hits around 6 months he probably wont like those real hot temps --- so make sure your watching his behavior he may start basking at the lower temp of 95-100 --
If I need to switch to two 100 watt bulbs to achieve that, will he be okay? It's not seeming to get warm enough yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I need to switch to two 100 watt bulbs to achieve that, will he be okay? It's not seeming to get warm enough yet.
Please post a pic of your tank so I can better see and get a idea of how to help

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Please post a pic of your tank so I can better see and get a idea of how to help
The middle is a CHE, the strip in the back is his UVB, and the two on the left are the basking bulbs. I was reading 99 on his main basking rock in the back with the CHE on so I went ahead and changed both bulbs to 100 watt so I can see if that helps without the CHE needing to be on. What do you recommend? I have the probes and I used an infrared reader on his basking rock in the back
16375211702333255920044395322713.jpg

Attachments

• 16375208731697314426435396902103.jpg
    16375208731697314426435396902103.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The middle is a CHE, the strip in the back is his UVB, and the two on the left are the basking bulbs. I was reading 99 on his main basking rock in the back with the CHE on so I went ahead and changed both bulbs to 100 watt so I can see if that helps without the CHE needing to be on. What do you recommend? I have the probes and I used an infrared reader on his basking rock in the backView attachment 30848
Take that probe set it on the hammock where hes sitting --- the side is giving you ambient temps--- hammocks are hard to get basking temps of off ---- the CHE is good for extra ambient temps --- you want ambient temps in the 90's and the cool side 80"s during the day --- is the shelf basking decor piece under the UVB 8-10 inches?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
I have a probe next to the hammock as well. The UVB is a reptisun T5 10.0 bulb and I was told that needs to be about 12 inches away and it's exactly that, I measured yesterday. Is that okay?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a probe next to the hammock as well. The UVB is a reptisun T5 10.0 bulb and I was told that needs to be about 12 inches away and it's exactly that, I measured yesterday. Is that okay?
yes that is ok---- I thought maybe the screen is a thick black type but it looks like its not ---- and the tank is off the floor? what is the highest temp your getting off the hammock?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
yes that is ok---- I thought maybe the screen is a thick black type but it looks like its not ---- and the tank is off the floor? what is the highest temp your getting off the hammock?
The hammock is around 95, the black basking rock behind it is 104 now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The hammock is around 95, the black basking rock behind it is 104 now
Ok so take that probe and place it in different areas of the hammock -- see what kind of different temps your getting - that 104 on the rock is good if she wants hotter she can go there --- but see what your getting in different areas of the hammock --- do not do anything more w/ your bulbs leave as is ----

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so take that probe and place it in different areas of the hammock -- see what kind of different temps your getting - that 104 on the rock is good if she wants hotter she can go there --- but see what your getting in different areas of the hammock --- do not do anything more w/ your bulbs leave as is ----
Okay thank you so much for your time! I appreciate it, this is my first reptile and I want to make sure he is happy

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you so much for your time! I appreciate it, this is my first reptile and I want to make sure he is happy
Watch the behavior of the dragon and her poop --- you want her digesting her insects --- if they are coming out undigested then we are going to need to adjust those basking temps --- but for now lets leave as is and see what happens

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Watch the behavior of the dragon and her poop --- you want her digesting her insects --- if they are coming out undigested then we are going to need to adjust those basking temps --- but for now lets leave as is and see what happens
Just realized I was using the infrared gun incorrectly, and his basking rock was just barely getting 95 with the two 100 watt bulbs. I added an additional 75 watt just now. What do you think?
16375319310348968935846490130292.jpg

Latest posts