• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Toe rot?

Bluegoodolls

Bearded Dragon Egg
Today I was giving my 2 y/o beardie, Jimothy, a bath. He walked through his own poop, so I was gently scrubbing his legs and feet to clean him off.

I noticed his claw on his right foot was missing, and when i investigated i noticed it was more swollen, and had a black line around the base.

This makes me think his shed may have gotten stuck around that toe and cut off circulation. But what do you think?

He has not shown any sign of sickness or pain, and has actually been quite active.

If anyone can reccomend what my next course of action should be, it would be much appreciated.
IMG_-dbx6ik.jpg

GojiraMama

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Many years ago while I was living with people who would not let me have my trio of anole lizards, one of the lizards went through this exact process with ALL of his front toes. Turned out my well-meaning but undereducated family had bought a heat rock that ran too hot and the most leisure-loving anole burned his tiny toes beyond repair. (He could still climb, he still had his thicker hind toes, and he lived another year.) I've also seen a nearly identical progression of tissue damage in Type 1 diabetics who did not use their insulin & ended up losing fingers and/or toes more than once in 30+ years as a home health care provider.

I would get the lizard pictured to a vet ASAP bc no matter what causes it, a ring of black next to a ring of swollen pink usually means infection, possibly necrosis, maybe losing the toe.

Latest posts