• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips, tips, tips on my leopard geckos! please!!!!

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hello everybody!....hope your having a goodnight...or morning dependent on when you read this...anyway.....
im getting two leo geckos and my grandma bought me a screen top and a under tank heater for my 20 gallon....but refuse's to give me them until christmas....soooo i need to know some cheap alternatives until then...im getting them on the 19th could i use cardboard with small holes poked in them for the top? and what about the tempature? how can i cheaplly (as cheap as possible) keep it good until the 5th? please and thanks!

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
a rubbermaid container {plastic box} if big enough works well you do need a thermometer so you can have an idea of temps if must you could use a heat lamp with a normal household bulb but just make sure it doesnt get too hot they dont need the high temps like dragons. They also do best with under belly heat so the quicker you can get the heat mat the better. just make sure they have lots of hides keep there damp hide misted with warm water, and line the bottom of the box with paper towels.
I would stay away from using cardboard as it will soak up any feces or urine and can harbour bacteria where as the paper towel can be easily removed and replaced also it wont be that safe if using a heat lamp.
I use this stuff called heat tape on one of my tanks and my incubator but it was givin to me from the breeder as I cant buy it up here in canada we dont carry it, but that might be an option too if it isnt expensive.

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
...thank you...but i already have a twenty gallon tank....and by cardboard i ment as a temporary top since she wont give me the screen top yet...i will be using paper towels as a substrate until i get money for tiles....its just i need to know a temerary cheap substitute for a tope and heat until i get the proper under tank heat, and the screen top....would hand and foot warmers from bass pro work....for a week? if so i could use that....thank you for your time! ;D ;D ;D ;D

angel

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
oooooo I see , yes for the top you could use cardboard they cant climb unless you have something that will reach the tob ie. branches, foam back drop ect. and as long as you dont have a cat or anything that could get through the cardboard. never thought of hand warmers the only thing is you will want to make sure it stays warm enough they use the belly heat to help digest their food and not sure how long those stay warm so you would have to keep ontop of that , otherwise it sounds like it would work.

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thank you....yeah this all sounds good....janie! *puts hand above eyes pokes head forward and looks left and right* are you there? *echo echo echo* would hand warmers be good? please and thank you amigo!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ilovecacti said:
yes! but it shuts off after a period of time...
they do sell some that have a timer bypass on them (ie you can choose to use the auto off or not)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Clamp light and black light screw in bulb?
I'll also send you instruction on how to make a rice bag also. That'll do until you get the rest. Don't panick.

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
what do you mean? use a black bulb....does that even give off heat...im alittle confused....what does a rice bag do...sorry! just want to know! lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a moist hide on top of a warm rice bag will maintain temps inside that hide. The rice bag will also raise surrounding ambient slightly.

Yes, a black light bulb. They do give off minimal heat, but provided the gex are set up where there is no draft, the bulb will do until you can install your UTH.

ilovecacti

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh ok i get it...thank you gina....yes i would appreciate some instructions on how to make that! thank you thank you thank you!

Latest posts