• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temp change

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Hi my beardie is now 7 months and classed as a juvenile and I’ve seen that the basking temps need to change at this stage. Is this important and if it is what exactly do I change to? Thanks

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let's start at the beginning. What are your temps currently? Any issues overall?

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Let's start at the beginning. What are your temps currently? Any issues overall?
No issues his temps are 115 and he’s doing great however I have seen you need to change the temps as they get older so wondered if I do need to and if so what temps ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No issues his temps are 115 and he’s doing great however I have seen you need to change the temps as they get older so wondered if I do need to and if so what temps ?
115 is too hot please get it down to 95-100- try either getting a lower wattage bulb I dont know what your using now - how far is it from the basking decor piece - it should not be any closer than 6" - make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get that temp - place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask 10 min or so get the temp

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
115 is too hot please get it down to 95-100- try either getting a lower wattage bulb I dont know what your using now - how far is it from the basking decor piece - it should not be any closer than 6" - make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get that temp - place the probe on the spot where he sits to bask 10 min or so get the temp
I can adjust it to 100 no probs he hasn’t seemed bothered he seems really happy he uses his basking spot a lot and there’s been no issues but I will lower the temps. When should I have changed the basking spot? I should note that it was 111 not 115 I got that wrong.. I use a gun and probe to make sure I cover all angles.

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
I can adjust it to 100 no probs he hasn’t seemed bothered he seems really happy he uses his basking spot a lot and there’s been no issues but I will lower the temps. When should I have changed the basking spot? I should note that it was 111 not 115 I got that wrong.. I use a gun and probe to make sure I cover all angles.
Also the distance is 10 inch away from his log

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also the distance is 10 inch away from his log
Ok so distance is good and as long as your using a probe to get that temp and hes basking at the 111 he is good- if you notice that he starts to not bask directly under it and moving off to the side then I would adjust to 95-100 -- hes still young yet but older dragons do not like real hot temps - just watch his behavior and follow his lead

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so distance is good and as long as your using a probe to get that temp and hes basking at the 111 he is good- if you notice that he starts to not bask directly under it and moving off to the side then I would adjust to 95-100 -- hes still young yet but older dragons do not like real hot temps - just watch his behavior and follow his lead
Ok so no exact time to change but just adjust when I notice a change in his behaviour, notably his basking.. I always wondered about when to change over I thought it had to be done by age. Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so no exact time to change but just adjust when I notice a change in his behaviour, notably his basking.. I always wondered about when to change over I thought it had to be done by age. Thanks
Usually its around 6 months you will notice a difference but each dragon has their own preference so just watch his behavior -

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Usually its around 6 months you will notice a difference but each dragon has their own preference so just watch his behavior -
I have changed the basking spot to 100f and the overall temps have obviously changed.. I have a probe in the middle of the tank and that is reading 77, is that going to be ok for his ambient temperature?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have changed the basking spot to 100f and the overall temps have obviously changed.. I have a probe in the middle of the tank and that is reading 77, is that going to be ok for his ambient temperature?
Middle of the tank should be 90's -- cool side of the tank low 80's during the day - that 77 is too cool - you may haft to set up another low wattage basking bulb like 50-75 to get the temps up there - you want ambient temps of 100 on the hot side of the tank -

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
Middle of the tank should be 90's -- cool side of the tank low 80's during the day - that 77 is too cool - you may haft to set up another low wattage basking bulb like 50-75 to get the temps up there - you want ambient temps of 100 on the hot side of the tank -
How does anyone achieve this in a 4ft tank? How can I get the middle to be 90 yet just two feet away get it
how can I get the ambient temps to be 100 when I’ve set his basking spot at 100? Plus getting ambient temps of 100 in one side and down to 80 on the other in a 4 ft tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How does anyone achieve this in a 4ft tank? How can I get the middle to be 90 yet just two feet away get it

how can I get the ambient temps to be 100 when I’ve set his basking spot at 100? Plus getting ambient temps of 100 in one side and down to 80 on the other in a 4 ft tank?
Post a pic of the tank-- is your tank a 120 gallon?

Eddie

Hatchling Dragon
it’s 122cm long
76cm high
61cm deep

Attachments

• ED54AA8E-A7DE-4D2A-BC09-DC1375AB6B32.jpeg
    ED54AA8E-A7DE-4D2A-BC09-DC1375AB6B32.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it’s 122cm long
76cm high
61cm deep
So given the measurements the tank is 144 gallon - you have more height making it harder to heat - is your UVB pressing against the back wall or is it protruding outward- he needs to be able to sit directly under it --- I would get the UVB out towards the middle of the tank and off that back wall --- and get another basking bulb place in the middle of the tank over another piece of basking decor so your getting temps in the 90's - you can set up another basking area in the middle of the tank - thats going to warm the cool side up as well -- I am posting a pic of my tank its a 120 gallon tank -- I have two basking areas for him one hot side and the middle of the tank - that is a 75 watt bulb in the middle behind the UVB -- other side is a 150 and a 75 watt - the 150 goes to a 100 watt during the summer - I manually control my temps as I work from home and they the two tanks are in the computer room/ office

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts