• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T5 light questions

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I want to get a t5 uvb. Do you recomend the zoomed fixture with the reflector? Or a cheaper fixture I can find will do. With the reflector, could it be on top of my screan? Or should I try and mount one under the screen. Is there a strict minimum distance it has to be because it's stronger?

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You want it under the screen.The screen will block some of the UVB. If you are using the T5Ho high output bulbs which I would recommend it would depend on how high the distance. Most enclosures would require a 10.0.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It really depends on your enclosure and the distances involved. You can have them on the screen if it is close enough to the dragons basking area. You generally do not want them closer than 12", but again if its on screen then that will be different too. I would recommend the Zoomed fixture with the reflector, yes. They are high output fixtures designed to maximize the output of the bulb. If you buy the cheap ones, you're limiting the output of the bulb and possibly the life you get out of it too.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I think I'm gonna get a section of shelf racks that are made of metal grates and use that as the screen. it's really spaced out so I guess the amont of ubv blocked will be minimal

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The easiest I have found is called hardware cloth. Its basically a wide gaped wire mesh, usually with either 1/2 inch or inch wide gaps. You can cut it with a good sturdy pair of scissors or wire cutters.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I just have yet to find a way to mount a fixture under the screen directly overhead. A T5 10 with a reflector on top of a very spaced out grate should do. I hope

Latest posts