• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sunlight - Getting really dark

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK, so I have been taking Pogie outside more since the winter temps are improving *Jumps up and down for joy . . . next will be a rain dance as its really dusty and dry here* Ooooops got side tracjed there, back to the topic at hand.

Ive noticed she gets really really DARK when in the sun. Is this normal ??? If so WHY do they go that dark, is it to absorb more rays ???

I feel her back every now and then and she doesnt feel too hot. She also doesnt gape, thus me thinking she isnt too hot. Shes never alone I constantly watch her in the vet carrier and move her with me as I go along with whatever I do (Today was "wash the car" day LOL. She was outside the longest today . . . approx 45 min. The other times I limit it to 30 mins a day.

She also goes NUTS when i put her back in the viv afterwards. Running up and down the glass, scratching and clawing at it, she also bumps her nose into it. When I try to offer food she bolts, if I try to pick her up, she bolts. Why does she get so "antsy" afterward?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is completely normal.

They actually get dark to attract more UV and Sunlight. You may also see what looks like stress marks but don't worry if it happens at the same time they turn dark for the outside it is part of them attracting more UV.

It is the Sun whorshiper coming out in the Dragon! ;D

Fliehigh

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, as Fliehigh says, they are absorbing the natural UV light.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love how dark they get when they go outside. Oscar turns almost black, funny to see since he is almost white.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK Im feeling much better now. *sighs*

Does yours also get so hyper afterward?
She also goes NUTS when i put her back in the viv afterwards. Running up and down the glass, scratching and clawing at it, she also bumps her nose into it. When I try to offer food she bolts, if I try to pick her up, she bolts. Why does she get so "antsy" afterward?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My not so little one, Spyke, is very funny. When you take him outside he doesn't want to move. He just wants to sit and sun soak. But when you bring him back in 1) He wants to run and explor and 2) trys to stay out of the VIV by grabing the doors or open of the viv. It is like he is saying "No I want more sun, i don't want ot o back" think of a 2 or 3 year old stomping his feet and getting ready to start a temper tantrum. then when he does do back in the VIV he will either sit there and give you the EYE or he starts running around and trys to mess things up as much as he can.

Fliehigh

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When you take him outside he doesn't want to move. He just wants to sit and sun soak.
YIP, same here. Sits like a statue. No movement

starts running around and trys to mess things up as much as he can.
Yip thats my girl too. Looks like a tornado went through there LOL

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It has always been fascinating to me watching them go through their colour change in natural sunlight, mine goes dark grey for the first ten minutes, half an hour later his a buttery yellow.

hanfon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hey there, at what temp is it suitable to take them outside for a while? Can't wait to get Pluto out in the Aussie sunshine .. ?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well... I would wait until Francis ( Redinkaus) takes his out.. Francis has been doing beardies for some time.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hanfon said:
hey there, at what temp is it suitable to take them outside for a while? Can't wait to get Pluto out in the Aussie sunshine .. ?

Anything higher than 85F is warm enough for dragons to be outdoors.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hanfon said:

Mate since you are in sunny QLD, anywhere between 22oC -32oC is fine any higher and it's a but too much for them for long periods. Remember though that when the temps get into the 30s make sure you check on them every 15 mins as that sun won't take long to fry a dragon without shade in those temps.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For everybody else planning to take out their dragons in to good ol' natural sunlight, you must remember that temperature readings like 30oC or 95oF is air temperature readings. This does not mean that the sunheat intensity is that temp. It could be like in their enclosure, the air temps are 95oF but the basking spot is actually 145oF to get air temps that high (does that make sense??). Must take care of radiant intensity and base the temps readings on that instead of air temps. Many a times it has been said that "its like 115oF outside, you could fry an egg on the concrete!!!"". See what I mean ;).

hanfon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awesome stuff.. we're getting some nice mid 20 days lately,... outside we go ! cheers

Latest posts