• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate question :)

CrazyDragonLady

Bearded Dragon Egg
When I first got Loki I put him on sand, and was advised to take him off. I did the next day and put newspaper in his enclosure. I can only imagine how heartbroken he was, he loves to dig and sleep in his dug out hidey places. I read somewhere you could put them on play sand once they reached a certain length. He's over 15 inches long now, would it be okay to change his substrate? I'd really love for him to be able to dig in the sand again :( if it helps I never feed him in his enclosure. I either feed him out on the floor for his live, and I put his salad in a bowl.
:)

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
Lol. Great pic , real dramatic. I can tell ur bearded is missing the sand.

15inches should be big enought. How old is he. The prob with sand is possible impaction.
But its more of an issue with other substrates.

Also consider eating habits. Do you thing its possible for him to take in alot of sand when feeding? Do u feed in separate tank?

Just want to be safe vet bills can be a bit sometimes

Go get some sand. I cant stand to look at ur beardie in that state.

Post another pic when u get it set up!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Put playsand in his tank now. He should be ok. But here's something you can do to keep him from getting impacted when fed. Put his greens bowl on an elevated surface not on the sand and feed him his crickets outside of the tank-in another container. He really does miss his sand. Looking down like that is so heartrending. He's so sad.

CrazyDragonLady

Bearded Dragon Egg
Haha thanks guys. He is a bit mopey!
He's 11 months old now. I took him on when he was 7 months old, he was on his own in a pet store because he was huge and people wanted a little tiny baby one. He's also a bit moody, and can be quite aggressive. But he's nice to me, will sit on my shoulder. Haha!
I'll be sure to put a picture of his set up when I manage to put some sand in :) hopefully it will make him happier!
I feed him his bugs out of the tank and his greens are always in his bowl.
Will try that, noella! Thank you! :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got a spoiled little girl and loves to sleep on me first and then go to sleep in her bed. Yes, she has a pillow for a bed. :D

CrazyDragonLady

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've got a spoiled little girl and loves to sleep on me first and then go to sleep in her bed. Yes, she has a pillow for a bed. :D
Hahaha! That's adorable. I bought Loki a big fluffy rabbit bed that's shaped like a basket and he hates it. :( I think he thinks it's too womanly for a big macho dragon such as him! :p

DirtyDianna

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've heard that pool sand is better than play sand. The pool sand is supposed to be smooth and a lot less dusty?? Not sure if this is true. I am still researching it.

CrazyDragonLady

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've heard that pool sand is better than play sand. The pool sand is supposed to be smooth and a lot less dusty?? Not sure if this is true. I am still researching it.
Oh I see! If you find out if there is a difference, let me know! I'm going to buy some sand soon, and I wouldn't want anything to harm my beardie :(

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
The ONLY acceptable sand is washed and sifted silicone-free children's playsand. It is safe as long as you practice proper husbandry. Don't take chances by using something else. I've been using sand since my dragon was about 16 inches long and a little less than a year old. She loves it and I wouldn't think about going back to paper towels.

CrazyDragonLady

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven't had a lot of money with Christmas on the way to buy sand so he has to suffer it for a few more days/weeks. I think he should be fine with it, as I said I never feed him in his viv, I always feed him outside his viv (it's how I tamed him pretty much, so he's used to it) and his greens are fed in a bowl :) I'll update you all when I eventually can buy him some sand. :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Natural Children's Washed Play Sand is very inexpensive, $4-$6 for 50 lbs here on the other side of the Pond, should not be much different there. Just get it when you can, if that is to be your substrate choice.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
LOVE the picture! I have the same log and Loki and my Dexter could be twins! She will also sit on her log playing sad lizard all day until someone comes home to play with her.

Latest posts