• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Still not pooping!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great BeardieBaby! That's good news! The Antibiotics worked! Made him go! That's great that he drank a lot of water. What'd the vet give him as for antibiotics? If it's Albon, it's going to make their tummies sensitive and they don't want to eat much when they're on it. Now, here's what I did when Allie was on Albon, she had soy yogurt twice a day on her salad. Strawberry, blueberry, or even vanilla. Didn't matter what flavor as long as it's not chocolate. It made her eat and feel better. :) There's even a probiotic made for beardies, but I wasn't able to wait for it. I'm so proud you didn't give up on him. :) I'm sure when he pooped he felt a lot better. :)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks so much Noella! They gave him something called Flagyl, I don't know much about it, but what they did tell me was it was an antibiotic for parasites AND it was supposed to increase their appetite which is great! I give it to him once a day for 7 days. I have heard some of these medications can upset their little tummys, but he actually seemed to want to eat and drink which is wonderful! I am so proud of my little guy and it was so cute when he pooped he just stood up on his log like, " I'm the man!" LOL....now..what exactly is a probiotic? Not to sound stupid but I am not 100% sure what that is and what it does or if it is even necessary at this point?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Acidophiliz's a probiotic used to help build the good bacteria back after using antibiotics. Antibiotics kills any and all good bacteria.

It's found on beautifuldragons.com/probiotics.html

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is WONDERFUL NEWS! For sure! With any luck at all he will continue to get better & stronger quickly, now that the poop chute has been cleared out.

You can do it Baby ...

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I am so glad to hear that baby is doing a million times better! I was worried about the antibiotics because they can decrease the appetite, but it sounds like they made sure to give you something that would increase. I'm so happy for you and baby!!!

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
Absolutely wonderful to hear such good news. I have been waiting for you to post....lol!! What a time and worry that little booger has given you but, I think, you did all the right things....don't you just love those giant poops!! :D

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Woohoo you have POOP!

As stated about being on antibiotics. Antibiotics need a little support with both gut flora and hydration.

To replenish the good bacteria: A product like this is quite expensive but good. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2261
and
Horn worms or silk worms are great nutrition and they will help keep your kid hydrated..

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your support!!!!!! Today Baby has been doing a bit worse...he refused to eat or drink anything today again and he seems a bit sleepy. I am hoping that this is just going to be a slow recovery process and I will need to be patient. In the meantime, the vet told me the antibiotic he put Baby on is supposed to increase his appetite, but now it seems lowered again. I heard you can use soy yogurt to make their tummy feel better. I have spent all my paychecks on the vet visits this past week so I cannot afford anything too expensive, does anyone have any ideas of what to give him to increase his appetite?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The only thing I can think of is soy yogurt. I'm not sure how much they cost in your area. That's a cheaper route in my area.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you dont mind you would tell me what is printed on the antibiotic label? Type of antibiotic, dose, dose frequency, antibiotic strength and what did baby weigh at the vets?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
The medication is Flagyl and its .02 on the syringe and its given once a day for 7 days and I don't know what Baby weighed at the vets because she took him in the other room to give him some medication and she didn't tell me his weight and I honestly forgot to ask but I do know he has lost weight just from looking at him. He did really good yesterday but not too good today. I ordered some probiotic on a bearded dragon website today so that should arrive in 3-5 days which seems to be too late but in my opinion it's better late than never. Plus, if this round of medicine doesn't work for Baby I am going to ask my vet to try a different one and then I am still going to need the probiotic anyways. What I am relieved to know, (or so I have heard) is that beardie's can go months with these parasites and don't die as long as you hydrate them and give them critical care or something of that sort, and that sometimes it takes a few times to beat them. Correct me if I am wrong of course! I know some beardies DO die because of this, but I also am trying to keep hope that my Baby will be a fighter and will make a full recovery!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Great news everyone! Baby ate almost 8 crickets for me this morning! He is a lot more chipper it seems since eating them! I just gave him his medication, which half of it ends up all over his face because I can't get his jaw open that wide, but I got most of it in, and now he is going to be left alone all day to just relax and be in quiet time while I am at work. I am going to pick up some soy and then come home and give him a nice warm bath! Baby was doing so bad, that this is truly an example of a miracle! I just want to dance around I am so happy!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
I just love to hear good news, congrats.

I just gave him his medication, which half of it ends up all over his face because I can't get his jaw open that wide, but I got most of it in...

You need someone to help you do this, to minimize the chance of hurting him holding his body and his mouth at the same time.

Keep up the good work.

Latest posts