• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Staying in cave

Averylynnm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, my bearded dragon Sylvester has been staying in his cave for awhile now just sitting in there. He doesn’t come out to eat. He looks healthy though, I cannot see any physical changes. His lightening and everything is good and the temperature is what it should be. I am just starting to worry why he is always sitting in there.

acethedragonguy

Juvenile Dragon
Hello, my bearded dragon Sylvester has been staying in his cave for awhile now just sitting in there. He doesn’t come out to eat. He looks healthy though, I cannot see any physical changes. His lightening and everything is good and the temperature is what it should be. I am just starting to worry why he is always sitting in there.
He is probably brumating. He's fine, but remember to keep an eye on him in case it is not brumation and something else. They do not eat or come out much/at all during brumation!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hes chillin'--- dragons slow down in the fall -- keep an eye on him he may come out in a day or two --- when he does feed him -- my two have been in their caves the last 2 days chillin' awake but just hanging out --

Averylynnm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes chillin'--- dragons slow down in the fall -- keep an eye on him he may come out in a day or two --- when he does feed him -- my two have been in their caves the last 2 days chillin' awake but just hanging out --
It’s been like a week. I did take him out and gave him a bath, then I sat him on his hammock to get some warmth but after a bit he went back into his cave

Averylynnm

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is probably brumating. He's fine, but remember to keep an eye on him in case it is not brumation and something else. They do not eat or come out much/at all during brumation!
How long do they do this for? He didn’t do it last year but he might not have been old enough yet? If that is a thing that comes into play

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s been like a week. I did take him out and gave him a bath, then I sat him on his hammock to get some warmth but after a bit he went back into his cave
Is he eating and how long did he bask? How old is he? Are you using a tube fixture for a uvb? How are you taking basking temps?

Averylynnm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is he eating and how long did he bask? How old is he? Are you using a tube fixture for a uvb? How are you taking basking temps?
He ate a bit of worms, but not nearly as much as he usually eats. He probably stayed out for 2 hours or so, and he is approximately 1 year and 8 months. Yes I am using a tube fixture the temp is sitting at around 95 right now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He ate a bit of worms, but not nearly as much as he usually eats. He probably stayed out for 2 hours or so, and he is approximately 1 year and 8 months. Yes I am using a tube fixture the temp is sitting at around 95 right now
Where is the uvb? Inside the tank or on top of screen? Distance and placement is crucial for uvb rays--- is it a T 5 or T 8 ? How old is the bulb? Are you taking the basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Averylynnm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is the uvb? Inside the tank or on top of screen? Distance and placement is crucial for uvb rays--- is it a T 5 or T 8 ? How old is the bulb? Are you taking the basking temp w/ a digital probe thermometer?
It is on top of the screen, and it is a T 5 for a 40 gallon tank. It is about a month old as my old one burnt out. Yes I have a digital probe thermometer for taking the bask temp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is on top of the screen, and it is a T 5 for a 40 gallon tank. It is about a month old as my old one burnt out. Yes I have a digital probe thermometer for taking the bask temp
Ok so the screen on the tank --- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? If it's a fine mesh it MUST go inside-- the screen will block 30% of the rays-- if your not sure about the screen post a pic please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep! Youngsters don't brumate. It can vary how long it lasts, every beardie does it differently.
Dragons are different not all will go into full brumation some will do a semi brumation-- I will post a link to info on brumation but first we need to rule out that uvb- that will cause behavior like brumation

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragons are different not all will go into full brumation some will do a semi brumation-- I will post a link to info on brumation but first we need to rule out that uvb- that will cause behavior like brumation

Averylynnm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the screen on the tank --- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? If it's a fine mesh it MUST go inside-- the screen will block 30% of the rays-- if your not sure about the screen post a pic please
No it is like a wide hole type, I did have it on a mesh one but changed it awhile ago when I found out that wasn’t the way to do it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No it is like a wide hole type, I did have it on a mesh one but changed it awhile ago when I found out that wasn’t the way to do it
Ok make sure your basking decor piece is directly under it 8-10 inches -- see if his behavior does not change and if it does then we can rule out basking temps and UVB --- please change your UVB out in approx one year -- I recommend a month prior to--- letting them burn out is NOT good -- readjust your UVB see if behavior changes it should--- w/ him cutting back on his eating hes not getting enough UVB if the decor piece is not properly placed - they will stop eating or slow down on eating but we need to get the lighting correct to determine if something else is going on here -- how has his poops been ? Are they runny smell so bad you need to leave the room? If so a fecal might in be order to determine if he has parasites going on - that will make them lethargic type and effect their eating- meaning too many of them --- your UVB and basking temps help him control the parasites - if your looking at having it done anyway NO ENEMAS -- take a fecal in and have them test it first - see if you can drop one off for testing - go from there here is a website to help find a reptile vet in your area if you live in a small area then type in the zip code to the biggest city to you

Latest posts