• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Soon to be beardie owner, need some help/tips on setup

andsoitgoes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I posted about this on another forum, but didn't really get much feedback. I know that there are quite a few different perspectives, and I'd like as many opinions as possible.

So here's the story. I found a pair of bearded dragons that a family needs to rehome as they are moving. Their setup is far from ideal, but the cost to get the whole package is fairly reasonable and hard to say no to.

A bit of background, both dragons are female, according to my exploration. They have been together since birth, and have been a part of the family now for about 2 and a half years. I understand most beardies are solitary, that they'll fight and be miserable with each other. From what I have seen through the family selling them, very nice and I had a "good feeling" if that makes sense, it seems they've been well loved, and if it weren't for the move, they wouldn't be selling them.

Now, the slightly troubling parts... They are currently in an unbearbly tall 36x18x27 tank. Again, I know it's fine for one but too small for two. Thing is, they have been living that way, without getting on each other, for over 2 years. I don't know if that has created some health issues, but they are both incredibly active, alert and engaging, more so than many of the dragons I've seen for sale.

i'm including a few pictures that I'd like to get some input on. I know moving them to a larger tank won't be immediate, and preferably I would be aiming to something that makes it a bit easier to get them in and out of.

If anyone could take a look at the pictures and help me out, I would greatly appreciate a few different opinions.

To start, I plan on getting the lava rock out of there, as I'm pretty sure it's what caused a few of the smaller beardies nail issues. I also intend to add in some slate instead of the astroturf, in hopes that it'll make things better for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    944.3 KB · Views: 28

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's very possible to have more than one dragon living in the same viv. Meteor and Comet my 2 lil girls won't eat impress the other ius nearby, I tried and it's crazy. I would have Razor with them but his growth spurt has made him bigger then both of them and I don't wasnt him mounting them.

andsoitgoes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply! :)

My only concerns are the tank size and my current expansion limitiations. I fear their growth has been stunted a bit, but they do seem very alert and active.

I am planning on looking at a getting a more custom tank made, but I see SO many differing opinions on tank size per dragon. I don't want to keep them in such a tall tank if nothing else, but going beyond 48" wide, without a dramatic amount of storage below, simply isn't feasible.

Dragon Funk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Most would encourage against having multiple beardies in the same tank. As you can see, one beardie is way bigger than the other. This happens as the larger beardie dominates the smaller and hogs heat, uvb and food. Setup looks fine for one, but look for a free or cheap tank and lights or craigslist. Good luck with your new spiked bundles of joy.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Hi everyone,

I posted about this on another forum, but didn't really get much feedback. I know that there are quite a few different perspectives, and I'd like as many opinions as possible.

So here's the story. I found a pair of bearded dragons that a family needs to rehome as they are moving. Their setup is far from ideal, but the cost to get the whole package is fairly reasonable and hard to say no to.

A bit of background, both dragons are female, according to my exploration. They have been together since birth, and have been a part of the family now for about 2 and a half years. I understand most beardies are solitary, that they'll fight and be miserable with each other. From what I have seen through the family selling them, very nice and I had a "good feeling" if that makes sense, it seems they've been well loved, and if it weren't for the move, they wouldn't be selling them.

Now, the slightly troubling parts... They are currently in an unbearbly tall 36x18x27 tank. Again, I know it's fine for one but too small for two. Thing is, they have been living that way, without getting on each other, for over 2 years. I don't know if that has created some health issues, but they are both incredibly active, alert and engaging, more so than many of the dragons I've seen for sale.

i'm including a few pictures that I'd like to get some input on. I know moving them to a larger tank won't be immediate, and preferably I would be aiming to something that makes it a bit easier to get them in and out of.

If anyone could take a look at the pictures and help me out, I would greatly appreciate a few different opinions.

To start, I plan on getting the lava rock out of there, as I'm pretty sure it's what caused a few of the smaller beardies nail issues. I also intend to add in some slate instead of the astroturf, in hopes that it'll make things better for them.
Hi n nice to meet you hope you get more joy with this forum. As for tye two in the same vic id sat saparate them as u can clearly c 1 is a lot bigger than the other. So will get more food more uvb so altho the smalper 1 may seem happy enough shebwill b much happier on her own. I have two beardie both male there set ups are very simple but affective. I uad sliding soor on ky viv so i can get them out easier. The beardie need to be at least 6 inches from uvb n basking light at hight point for them to thrive well. Wot ur temps. Hot wnd cool end ?

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I found one kernel of information....the dragon (sorry I just can't call The General a 'beardie' he's much too self possessed. ;-) ) but you said the dragon needs to be about six inches from a UV source. My guy is about 18 inches!!! About the same from a heat light too! THANKS. I'll remedy that immediately!

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
From the pics the one looks much smaller than the other it would be hard to believe they are both two years old. But I would seperate so the small one gets food too there is always going to be a dominant dragon in a pair they are both going try to get the best of everything

Latest posts