• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something odd with my baby beardie's rump

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep! I'm very grateful for the help and concerns :) just all the ones I've gone to the conditions were awful, I guess I need to be more careful but I'm in love with my beardie already! I called petco they said all they could do was return him and I knew what would happen to him, but I wouldn't ever do that! So looks like vet visits already, and ive had him for less than three days!
Yea I can understand that!! I was in love with my gal as I was watching her run around the tank at petco eating crickets :) I knew she was coming home with me.. Day's prior I had been at a couple of other pet stores looking at them and they were lethargic, on sand, just tiny babies...so when I saw her in a nice bright enclosure, they were all alert looking happy and healthy.
I would like to hope that they would take them to their vets I know they say that they do. I know I would trust a vet that I would take them to, and they should be seen by a reptile vet anyways to be checked..

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its getting worse...my parents refuse to take me to a vet "because it is a lizard" so I am on my own. Here's an update on it and it looks bigger and even more open then before.
image.jpeg
the only option for me is to keep him and nurse him myself or take him back and I hate the thought of taking him back. On the upside I have gotten him to eat a tiny little bit of carrots and strawberries and he seemed to really like them. I just don't know what to do the soaks aren't helping and the petstore screwed me over pretty hard :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well that sucks.. is he eating any bugs at all? any greens like collard, dandilion, kale?
I would continue the 100F soaks and clean it with a diluted iodine/saline in hopes that it clears up.. PatsyB what do you think would you do the silver ointment?

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's been eating mealworms because that's all the petstore told me to feed him, and I haven't tried any greens yet I'll have to! And would I clean it every day? And how many times? I'm starting to worry because a closer look it looks like he's cut open and there's a bunch of sand from the petstore in his wound, as it opens up im beginning to see red. My poor baby :(

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 15

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There could be 2 things going on both are not good. He looks cut open because the vent is being pushed open by the scab. It could be a prolasp that was never taken care of or it could be yellow fungus. Yellow fungus starts at the vent and is scaby and yellow and looks kinda like this. It is very contagious. Unfortunately both need the care of a vet and your parents are being irresponsible and not providing that for him so there's nothing you can really do. You could do the betadine soaks and maybe some silver solution ointment on it but I don't really know if that will do anything. :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's been eating mealworms because that's all the petstore told me to feed him, and I haven't tried any greens yet I'll have to! And would I clean it every day? And how many times? I'm starting to worry because a closer look it looks like he's cut open and there's a bunch of sand from the petstore in his wound, as it opens up im beginning to see red. My poor baby :(

Mealworms are super hard to digest their shells contain chitlin. Switch him over to crickets, dubia, maybe a couple of nice juicy butterworms. He very well could be impacted from the mealworms. please take a look at the links at the bottom of our signature lines and you will find in the general one 2 food links for great resources that most of us go by..

I would clean it every day after a nice warm soak

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I will! I was thinking of switching him to butter worms, I just haven't gotten a chance to get the proper things that I read on your guy's post. I am thinking its a prolapse not taken care for and probably fatal... :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, I will! I was thinking of switching him to butter worms, I just haven't gotten a chance to get the proper things that I read on your guy's post. I am thinking its a prolapse not taken care for and probably fatal... :(
Butterworms are good fatty and good moisture not a good staple..
prolapse, yf, impaction is what we are thinking and the 1st 2 need vet assistance and usually is fatal :( and I'm sorry about this but they are such stoic critters but it's most likely painful as the yf spreads. He really does need to be seen if anything to help him from being in pain. I'm sorry the situation really sucks.

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I put antifungal on it, because it really looks like yellow fungus from what I've seen of other cases. Is there anything I should do since he is going to be in pain? They just don't want to take him to the vet because I bought him sick, and they don't want to spend more money. As long as I'm soaking him in sugar and putting on the ointment I'm doing all that I can?

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
And when you said silver solution did you mean silver sulfadiazine? And ah, then I should do crickets? Because I don't know if I like the idea of roaches XD

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There's something you can buy over the counter called Silver Solution, it's a cream. Silver sulfadiazine would work too. I really don't have any experience with something like this. It's quite possible that the meal worms caused impaction and he strained and he got a prolapse. If that happened it's not going back in, it's already dead tissue. It does look a lot like yellow fungus. If that is what it is then that can spread to the rest of his body. Whatever it is he is going to be in pain if he isn't already.

When did you purchase him from the store? Are you still within your 14 day return policy?

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought him Sunday night and noticed it Monday morning, so I could take him back, i just care a lot about him already :( thank you all so much for the help...I might be able to get someone to take me to the vet. I had one scheduled today but my parents said no because I just bought him and they're mad with the petstore. What will they do if I return him? Even though I really really don't want to, I'm in love with him already :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bought him Sunday night and noticed it Monday morning, so I could take him back, i just care a lot about him already :( thank you all so much for the help...I might be able to get someone to take me to the vet. I had one scheduled today but my parents said no because I just bought him and they're mad with the petstore. What will they do if I return him? Even though I really really don't want to, I'm in love with him already :(
I believe their policy is they go to their vet and if nothing can be done I think they replace it for you. :( I hear ya on the heartstrings...

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, I'm crossing my fingers it gets better :( thanks for all the help and support. Its so tiring and stressful just taking care of him all day long and not knowing if you'll even be able to save him. :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes their policy would be to have their vet look at him and see what can be done. When I was first starting with reptiles and amphibians, I had a frog that took a tumble off a branch and wasn't quite the same afterwards. I struggled with what to do and on the 14th day I took her back to the store and they replaced her. I felt horrible for bringing her back, I just pictured them putting her back in the tank with the other frogs and someone else buying her. A few weeks later, I had to go to an exotic vet because another frog was having seizures. I told him about this first frog and how I was riddled with guilt for bringing it back instead of keeping it and bringing it to him. He told me that at one time in his life HE was a vet for Petco. Now he is one of the best exotic vets in the city. It made me feel a little more comfortable with my decision.

maifly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh, okay that makes me feel better :) I also was imagining if I took him back awful things would happen to them. We're taking him to the vet today so we'll see how that goes, but it looks like it's getting better, or at least I hope so.

Latest posts