• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

soak or shower???

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello Everyone,

I have another newbie question. One of my babies, Chuck, so far doesn't much like to soak. He tries to get out right away and will jump and run. He loves to be sprayed however..... When you mist or spray him he dances around trying to get the water and than lay in the little puddle made from the spray/shower. My question is... Is this enough water/soaking time? Should I try and force him to stay in the bath or soak? He is pooping fine at least once a day and sometimes 2 or 3 times. He has been shedding and he really loves to be sprayed and rub everywhere to get rid of the skin, so here's question 3 How much is too much spraying? Is couple times a day ok? His home is nice and warm and he usually likes to be sprayed in his basking spot which is about 105 and 110 degrees.

Thanks for the help,
Chuck and Razz's mommy

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Take him into the shower with you ! Just make sure you have your hygenic needs taken cared of first... oh and watch out for the poopy dance !
Janie.

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I hadn't thought of that ...what a good idea... I take my bird in once or twice a week so I guess I could give Chuck a day. A different day of course.... I bet he will love it. :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
None of mine cared for it, but yes, try that, I have heard of several owners that bring in the dragon for a shower.
Janie.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A shower is a novel idea. Something to keep in mind is that most beardies do not like their baths at first. Some never come around, but most do. They really need a good soak, especially if Chuck is shedding. It helps relieve their discomfort.

Bernard hated his bath till he was about 1 1/2. He soon would swim around and duck his head under water. I recommend keep at the soak. Also, keep spraying Chuck. It's a good boast and he can drink it too.

chucks parents

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok I will keep working with him and the soak. Hopefully he will come around. As for his shedding the spraying really helped and he's all done for now.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Excellent. He'll shed a lot for the first year of his life. As with all babies, he has a lot of growing to do. Don't give up. Chuck will come around.

I used to stand with Bernie and stroke his nose and under his chin. Those were his favorite spots. And of course, I'd chat with him. He would wiggle and squirm and go every which way.

He got used to it and later in his life, he was not happy when I took him out of his bath.

Don't give up!