• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Skipping greens fora couple days???

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
So I noticed my beardies not nibbling their greens for a few days. And I am running low on greens and have tortoises to feed... So I decided to skip the greens for a few days, STILL dusting all their roaches with calcium and vitamins including D3!!! Am I a bad beardie mommy for doing this??? :-(

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Do you have any wild animals or dogs outside in your yard? Any sprayed pesticides? Are there dandelion greens around in your yard? You can use these to feed your dragon, but be careful. They may or may not eat them. I tried it with Allie to give her variety. She didn't really eat them herself. (Maybe they weren't familiar to her.)
There are some days they don't eat and some days they do eat. Mine nibbles on her greens whenever she's in shed or isn't hungry. I wouldn't really skip any days with greens especially if they're all adults. Mine has a strange eating habit. She'll eat a nibble of greens every morning, then walk away, go to the bathroom and return to eat her greens. Sometimes she'll eat them all. Sometimes she'll leave a whole plate behind because she's just not hungry.

What do your tortises eat? Do they also eat greens?

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
Hmm. Do you have any wild animals or dogs outside in your yard? Any sprayed pesticides? Are there dandelion greens around in your yard? You can use these to feed your dragon, but be careful. They may or may not eat them. I tried it with Allie to give her variety. She didn't really eat them herself. (Maybe they weren't familiar to her.)
There are some days they don't eat and some days they do eat. Mine nibbles on her greens whenever she's in shed or isn't hungry. I wouldn't really skip any days with greens especially if they're all adults. Mine has a strange eating habit. She'll eat a nibble of greens every morning, then walk away, go to the bathroom and return to eat her greens. Sometimes she'll eat them all. Sometimes she'll leave a whole plate behind because she's just not hungry.

What do your tortises eat? Do they also eat greens?
Well my beardies are babies, under 6"... 2 & 3mos old... And yes my tortoises eat greens. All the different types of greens that the beardies eat. I go through bags of greens a week. I've ordered seeds so I can start my own garden. But till then it's going crazy! Mine are semi shed right now. One is having her tail shed, other his head...

*~*~*~ Love always bring difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy ~*~*~*
-Vincent Van Gogh-

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
OH and we have feral cats I wouldn't dream of them eating the wild crud out side.... Cat wee on everything.

-Vincent Van Gogh-

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Being babies, they require more protein than greens. They should be okay for a couple of days.

I know what you're going through when you're running low on greens because I've had less than three leaves left and I was left a choice-Feed Allie the Greens or give the crickets the greens. So, I've devised a plan when I'm running low with greens, I use the adult bearded dragon maintance formula from Rep-Cal (Babies are different and there's no variety for babies with Rep-Cal. Only juvenile and adult formulas.) on the crickets and give Allie the greens.

I wouldn't feed those greens after all with the feral cats. At my old house, we had feral cats and coyotes roaming around and we lived out in the boonies. Now, we live in a busy bustling town. I sometimes wish I could go back because I loved the peace and quiet. But not the coyotes and feral cats.

Heck, I fed one feral cat that lived under my uncle's house. She was so nasty and feral, you could hear her growling because she had a litter of kittens.

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
Being babies, they require more protein than greens. They should be okay for a couple of days.

I know what you're going through when you're running low on greens because I've had less than three leaves left and I was left a choice-Feed Allie the Greens or give the crickets the greens. So, I've devised a plan when I'm running low with greens, I use the adult bearded dragon maintance formula from Rep-Cal (Babies are different and there's no variety for babies with Rep-Cal. Only juvenile and adult formulas.) on the crickets and give Allie the greens.

I wouldn't feed those greens after all with the feral cats. At my old house, we had feral cats and coyotes roaming around and we lived out in the boonies. Now, we live in a busy bustling town. I sometimes wish I could go back because I loved the peace and quiet. But not the coyotes and feral cats.

Heck, I fed one feral cat that lived under my uncle's house. She was so nasty and feral, you could hear her growling because she had a litter of kittens.
It's nice to kno someone has been where I'm at ya kno....I def give them their fill of dusted roaches as often as they'll take them, usually only once a day, but I try twice. Just to see if they're hungry.
But as you can see Bruce certainly isn't going hungry:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364663932.345979.jpg

He's a good eater, lily was afraid of the roaches at first but when I showed her they were food she took right to them!
-Vincent Van Gogh-

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's nothing like two fat bellies full of roaches or crickets. :) I just ran out of crickets today and won't be able to get some until the third day in April. She's not going to be happy, but that's okay. She chooses her greens over her crickets most days.

Pat B

Super Moderator
My beardie doesn't eat his greens....just crix and mealies. Although I put greens/veggies in his enclosure everyday....he doesn't eat them. He does like to kick sand into his bowl and walk all over them. :) I wish he would ....the little boy is just different!!

Dragon Lady

Hatchling Dragon
There's nothing like two fat bellies full of roaches or crickets. :) I just ran out of crickets today and won't be able to get some until the third day in April. She's not going to be happy, but that's okay. She chooses her greens over her crickets most days.
Yuppers! My babies love their roaches!!! Sometimes they go after their greens like wildfire! But recently it's been roaches...

-Vincent Van Gogh-

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie doesn't eat his greens....just crix and mealies. Although I put greens/veggies in his enclosure everyday....he doesn't eat them. He does like to kick sand into his bowl and walk all over them. :) I wish he would ....the little boy is just different!!

LOL. He's just telling you how much he doesn't want his greens. Allie's the same way when she doesn't want her greens, only she'll poop on the dish and then she gets angry because there's something on her greens that shouldn't be. And sometimes she'll track her greens all over the place. One time, she actually put some aside and ignored the rest.

Latest posts