• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick dragon need help

Bryan_Ugarte

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so I just got a new baby dragon. He looked fine when I got him (healthy). Now all he does is sleep all day and it looks like he's vomiting all his food. Temp in the tank is around 80 and basking spot is anywhere around 100-107 I don't see him eat but he looks like he does. I'm not sure bc he shares a tank with another baby same size. His belly seems to be nice and full all the time. I soak him everyday with worm water he is drinking. Don't know what it is he just looks really lethargic. Please help thanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411677337.723644.jpg
that's how he looks all the time

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im not the expert here so wait on someone else but it sounds to me like possible impaction.
Wishing you the best.

Bryan_Ugarte

Bearded Dragon Egg
K thanks I did soak him today and he did poop it looked a little light or clear with a little white in it don't know if that's good or not ?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Vomiting food is usually a sign that they aren't getting the warmth they need to digest the food. If you are using an analog temp gauge, throw it out and get a digital probe. Attach it right to the highest point on the basking spot. You want the basking spot to be 110 degrees. What are you using for UVB?

Bryan_Ugarte

Bearded Dragon Egg
Vomiting food is usually a sign that they aren't getting the warmth they need to digest the food. If you are using an analog temp gauge, throw it out and get a digital probe. Attach it right to the highest point on the basking spot. You want the basking spot to be 110 degrees. What are you using for UVB?
Thanks for responding. I'm using a 100 watt sun power light. I'm using a digital probe and it is on the highest spot on the basking area and it reads anywhere between 100- 115 depends on how hot it is that day.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is the live food the size of the space between his eyes or smaller? The only other thing I can think of then is some sort of parasite or something of that nature.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First of all, remove the substrate and use either non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, or newspaper without newsprint. (You can often buy those at hobby shops or the newspaper office). It can be a sign of impaction from the substrate which looks like unsifted playsand. Playsand that hasn't been sifted is loaded with little pieces of gravel or pebbles as seen in the picture. It's a good idea to remove all of it.

Next, check your temps as Patsy says to with a thermometer with a probe. Analog ones that stick on the side are only measuring mixed temps.

Also: Take your beardie's fecals to the vet for checking out for any parasites, worms, or infections. Stress can cause a lot of the bearded's intestinal tract good gut flora to reach all time highs which the immune system cannot keep up with.

Hydrate him. Give him some bathes or syringe feed him water. Or use Pedialyte (Cherry or Orange flavor works best as unflavored doesn't taste very good)

If he's not eating well, give him a slurry of baby food turkey and turkey broth or chicken and chicken broth, pedialyte, vitamins, calcium powder, squash, green beans, and carrots baby food, 1st stage or 2nd stage. Soy yogurt for probiotics and put some into his slurry. Get him some nutritional support for him and feed him three times a day or more- like a baby.

Bryan_Ugarte

Bearded Dragon Egg
First of all, remove the substrate and use either non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, or newspaper without newsprint. (You can often buy those at hobby shops or the newspaper office). It can be a sign of impaction from the substrate which looks like unsifted playsand. Playsand that hasn't been sifted is loaded with little pieces of gravel or pebbles as seen in the picture. It's a good idea to remove all of it.

Next, check your temps as Patsy says to with a thermometer with a probe. Analog ones that stick on the side are only measuring mixed temps.

Also: Take your beardie's fecals to the vet for checking out for any parasites, worms, or infections. Stress can cause a lot of the bearded's intestinal tract good gut flora to reach all time highs which the immune system cannot keep up with.

Hydrate him. Give him some bathes or syringe feed him water. Or use Pedialyte (Cherry or Orange flavor works best as unflavored doesn't taste very good)

If he's not eating well, give him a slurry of baby food turkey and turkey broth or chicken and chicken broth, pedialyte, vitamins, calcium powder, squash, green beans, and carrots baby food, 1st stage or 2nd stage. Soy yogurt for probiotics and put some into his slurry. Get him some nutritional support for him and feed him three times a day or more- like a baby.
The substrate I have in the tank is a liner just looks like sand it's not

Temps are good like I said before I do have a digital probe. Got spot is 100- 112 depends on the day.

I do hydrate him everyday. I give him a worm bath also syringe feed him Flukers Repta + Boost twice a day. I do leave greens I. The tank I think he eats that not sure.

He just took 2 poops this morning they looked like the stuff I've been feeding him.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411819294.180584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411819305.281619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411819313.564587.jpg

He just won't eat at all

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's a big poop for someone that's not eating. Have you tried hand feeding him some live food? If you hand feed him live food and he eats it then that means his tank mate is eating everything or bullying and not letting him eat. If you try to hand feed him and he doesn't want it, then you need to have him checked out by a vet. If he has parasites, then his tank mate most likely has them too and it's a matter of time for her to show the same signs.

Bryan_Ugarte

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's a big poop for someone that's not eating. Have you tried hand feeding him some live food? If you hand feed him live food and he eats it then that means his tank mate is eating everything or bullying and not letting him eat. If you try to hand feed him and he doesn't want it, then you need to have him checked out by a vet. If he has parasites, then his tank mate most likely has them too and it's a matter of time for her to show the same signs.
Well last night a feed him 3 little roaches and I gave him 2cc of that Repta boost. When I mean hand feed I mean force feed. That's y he pooped so much. I'm taking him to the vet today. Should I bring some poo or does the vet take care of that ?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes you will need to bring a sample to the vet so they can test it.

Latest posts