• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Re: Poor Poor Pogie - She is sick - UPDATE !!!!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Re: Poor Poor Pogie - She is sick

It is a pro biotic. It replaces the good stuff into your beardies system that the antibiotic takes away. It is actually no different than the stuff we take to help our digestion along. Make sure though with a beardie you use a soy based and not a dairy based. You can get it at any vitamin shop. Get a capsule or a powder that you can sprinkle on food.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

OK, thanx. I still have some Protexin she got in MArch
Heres a link to their site
http://www.protexin.com/vet/faq.php

Will ask the vet about it, as Ill have to dilute it in water & give via syringe as shes not eating live feeders ATM

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Yup, sounds like the same thing. Is is a powder? Can you just sprinkle on food?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Yeah its a powder. And I used to dunk a cricket in water and then sprincle it onto the cricket and shed eat it like that

BUT

Shes not eating and to ensure she gets it in her system, Ill have to disolve it and give orally via syringe

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Is she eating greens?

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member

I am so sorry to hear about Pogie. Hope she makes a speedy recovery and don't stress to much. Bathing daily is good for them. Mine has always got bathed daily for hydration and exercise. If she stops eating, you could take her salad and make pudding out of it. My three dragons absolutely love eating from a plastic spoon. The greens pudding will do a couple of things, give hydration and nourishment. Mine all eat by themselves but they also get greens pudding or juice daily.

monature

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear she is sick. She looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEET. I will say a little prayer for her.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Is she eating greens?

She had about 4 bites of Endive yeasterday. She basically eeats when she feels like it.

If she stops eating, you could take her salad and make pudding out of it.

She doesnt really fancy a spoon, the only thing she will eat off one is KIWI and thats out of season now. How do you make the pudding? Cos Ill try anything. Maybe I should grate the leaves and mash a cricket or 2 in it (Gross)

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear she is sick. She looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEET. I will say a little prayer for her.
Thanx ;D

So she got her second round of meds this morning, and now that were back home she is NUTS, glass dancing like a beardie on gummi berry juice LOL

The vet wanted to check her mouth/gum linings and throat as well and got bit for his efforts (That was really funny) And he said the following:

But no other health issues. Kidneys are fine, overall condition excellent, energy levels are good and liver swelling is a teeny bit down already *YEAH*

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Excellent news, Monique.. Here's to her fully recovering !
*raises a cuppa hot chai*

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Sorry to hear P is sick. I hope she continues to get better!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Excellent news, Monique.. Here's to her fully recovering !
*raises a cuppa hot chai*

CHEERS to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And people thought poop can get you excited he he

And thanx Sandra and Melissa for the well wishes.
Now I just wish she would eat a cricket or a silk (Even a tiny one would do)

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

I hope Pogie does better!! Seems like you've done all the right things 2 help her out...Good luck with her!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Thanx, keeping fingers crossed that TODAY is the day she will eat for me (My nerves, feels like Im starving her). It will be a week tomorrow since she last had a cricket

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member

Aaahhhh, I don't know how I missed this Monique.
I hope P recovers fully and very soon at that.

Can you force feed a Beardie?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Aaahhhh, I don't know how I missed this Monique.
I hope P recovers fully and very soon at that.

Thanx Roland, keeping my fingers and toes crossed this end.

Can you force feed a Beardie?
It isn't recommended, Roland..

I know Janie, but its darn tempting at the moment. I think I need some calmettes to keep me from freaking out. She has to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hungry by now.
Ive even taken a cricket and squished out the insides (I know seriously GROSS) , put it on a spoon for her to lick . . BUT nothing.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Monique... when she is ready, she will eat again..
Resist that urge !
*hands over a calming cuppa chamomile tea.*

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Hi all, thanx to everyone for the well wishes.

We went to the 3rd vet appointment yesterday – one more to go on Saturday.
Well this is when I got the fright of my life, she had lost 20 gramms since Thursday night. :eek: The vet said if she doesn’t eat and loses more by Saturday they may need to admit her and force feed her.

So not wanting that I made a plan. Except that I had a really good cry and heart to heart with Pogie, pleading with her to PLEAAAAAAAASE eat something, anything for me. My heart is breaking to see her not eating.

I have now bought some kiwi fruit (I know its not a staple BUT she loves it so much and it wont be forever and I figured kiwi is better than NOTHING at this stage.) Mushed up a teaspoon full and she drank the juice on her own. Think she got some pulp in too.

Then I coocked some butternut and watered it down to make a paste, added crickets and silks (2 each) and mixed and mushed it up. Diluted with a bit of water and so far shes eaten 1ml of this goop. I had to open her lip for the 1st time but then she just started licking it from the syringe.

Will give her ½ hour intervals between syringes (1 ml syringes) as the vet recommended she get 3ml twice a day till Saturday
I really hope shes eating on her own by then.

Keep all your fingers and toes crossed please

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

20 grams isn't all that much. I'd give that medicine time to work...

Keep strong, Monique.. We are all pulling for you.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts