• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rankin Dragon sexing help please :3

Alduin92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone can help me sex my Rankin Dragon , about 7/8 months old and I am heading more towards female but I would like a second opinion please :)
uploadfromtaptalk1392570147519.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
With those circles it's like an optical illusion! Do you have someone else there with you? Might be easier to tell if you are holding it as opposed to it being on the table.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
It's really hard to tell from this, I'm thinking you don't have the tail pushed up far enough? Try holding him with one hand closer to his hips, and the other hand closer to the base of his tail...instead of near the tip of it. Hands close together to get the proper position and get the tail bent up to "stretch" that area a bit
[

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What atochats said! Try pushing the tail up a little more but be gentle. It's still really hard to tell.

Alduin92

Bearded Dragon Egg
uploadfromtaptalk1392586349691.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392586415967.jpg
after another attempt I'm pretty sure she's female.. trying to hold it in place and take a picture was hard lol :) but I saw a more distinctive lump in the middle not 2 on the side...

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Good holding! Definitely got a good position and looking at it I'd be inclined to agree that it's a girl but can't be positive of course :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think it's a girl! Does it already have a name?

Alduin92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeh , named Alduin :3 which is a male name..... Lol :3 gunna wait and see for sure tho before I change it.. I've had her 6 months already so gunna be difficult to get use to a name change!!!
Here she is :3

uploadfromtaptalk1392623885518.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We didn't change Dexter's name when we found out she was a girl. Lucy we changed to Luci (Lucifer) when I thought she was a boy. After this whole discussion I tried to check again and I think we were right the first time and he's a she!

Alduin92

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh no !! Haha oh well im gunna wait until she's abit older and hopefully will be easier to tell then!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for that post Germ. Never thought of doing that with beardeds.
Ya really, when I first saw it, I thought what the hey. Such a simple & accurate method, like candling an egg. I literally smacked the side of my head & said, "D'oh, why didn't I think of that" :eek:.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya really, when I first saw it, I thought what the hey. Such a simple & accurate method, like candling an egg. I literally smacked the side of my head & said, "D'oh, why didn't I think of that" :eek:.

I also shoke my head and said "OMG why did'nt i ever think to do that!" LOL

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How many people have gone and tried this with their beardies this week? LOL! I checked Luci, she is indeed a Lucy. Dexter's tail is so fat that the light wouldn't go through it!

Latest posts