• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question about beardie getting natural sunlight/taming tips

naturalman91

Bearded Dragon Egg
so i still don't have a bearded dragon but im almost done getting everything ready i wanted to be ready way before getting one

i've been looking at reptarium screen cages for natural outdoor sun time and got to talking with a friend about them he told me letting a bearded dragon have natural sun can "turbo charge" your dragon making them more energtic but also possible slightly aggressive a well

has anyone had experience with this? i mean the energy thing makes sense and i know my tortoise's eat way better and are more active in natural light but what about the aggression thing?

also any tips to help a dragon get used to being handled once they're acclimated to they're enclosure?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Someone else here just got a reptarium, it looks awesome! If I had the porch space, I would get one for my wild boy. I don't know if the natural sunlight makes them aggressive I would say they are more aware of their surroundings while they are outside and might make them a little agitated. Every beardie is different though. My girl likes to sit outside with me and will look around and just sit. My boy is a little more nervous. He likes to look outside but when you bring him out he freaks out a bit. Everything from the wind to the sounds to the birds flying overhead make him on edge.

The best thing that worked for me with Luci (the boy), was I handled him at night right before he went to bed. Whenever I put my hand in his tank he would open his mouth to hiss or bite. At night though, his defenses were down and he let me pet him and hold him. I started with 5 minutes at a time then kept adding time to it and eventually was able to hold him for longer. It took months though, so be prepared.

Again, all beardies are different. My girl Dexter was completely opposite and loved to be held from the beginning.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Agood tip when handling is to go at them from the front where they can see you and do it slowly try not to move fast it willstartle them. Also uf they let u close to them without gettin aggitated jus stroke the underneath of there neck gently i find it helps alot i stillhave to do that with my male after nearly 3 years. 1/2 mins doing that and hes good as gold

BeardedDragon's°For°Life

Hatchling Dragon
Agood tip when handling is to go at them from the front where they can see you and do it slowly try not to move fast it willstartle them. Also uf they let u close to them without gettin aggitated jus stroke the underneath of there neck gently i find it helps alot i stillhave to do that with my male after nearly 3 years. 1/2 mins doing that and hes good as gold
Beardies actually cannot see from the front. ((That's why they run into walls sometimes...at least my little girl does xD)) because there eyes are on the sides of there head. So it would probably be best to come to the side of them where they can see you clearly. My bearded dragon used to hate me xD she would always get real flat when I held her or touched her. And would hiss at me.. but I took her out everyday for about 25 To 30 minutes everyday and now she's a little angel! It takes time though. And patience, I Suggest hand feeding :) it's a great way to spend some time with your beardie while doing something to care for it. And it made me and my beardie closer. And the sunlight. I don't think it makes them aggressive but they probably get a bit more tense and aware because they aren't used to being outside but rather in there tank. Natural sunlight is great for them! But like my vet said "Don't put your beardie just next to a window. It's like laying next to a window, your never going to get tan." Because it all goes to the glass. GoodLuck!

Latest posts