• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question About Acquiring a Dragon

fureverywhere

Bearded Dragon Egg
I work for a pet store and they have teeny Beardies for sale. But I wondered if there might be rescue groups or something similar? Since I'm new to this I'm not sure of the best route. All our dogs and cats were from shelters. It makes you feel good giving someone in need a home. Suggestions? I live in Northern New Jersey, USA.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I think you should get that little guy. The ones at the pet store really need homes too. And I know alot of people don't take proper care of them if your on here. That little guy needs you because your obviously a good owner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I meant if your on here your obviously a good owner. Post a pic when you decide.

fureverywhere

Bearded Dragon Egg
At the moment I still haven't gotten to emptying the fish tank. I just ordered a book about complete dragon care. Plus being on this site...I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible. Then by January I want to have everything set up and ready to pick out our new buddie. I think I have a name...oy, how do you know if it's a boy? But in any case Bernie. That was my first political choice and I still love him. But Bernie the Bearded Dragon...has a nice ring to it;)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've noticed that petco gets ridiculously tiny bearded dragons. They shouldn't be on the market at that age, being so fragile. There are rescue groups scattered about, and an abundance of unwanted adults on craigslist. It's up to you and what you want to do. I like to rescue the adults and disabled dragons, who have a smaller chance of finding good loving homes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fureverywhere

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, I didn't even think of Craigslist. I have two pups. Both would have been long PTS. My girl is a paranoid basket case. My boy is hard muscled and imposing enough to scare off the most soft hearted adoptee. I saw his nature our first walk, his leash slipped off. Rather than run he sat down to look at me "Human this walk thing is great!!! Put the collar back on me and let's go here." My beautiful man. I will love him forever.

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My personal opinion, we can read up all we want on the care and whatnot of a bearded dragon, but until we actually have one, you never really learn.
That being said, for me, I bought a baby from a good reptile store (not national) because I knew they'd be healthy and handled well before I ever came in the picture.
I'm not experienced enough to take on possible special needs of a rescue at this point.
All my other animals are absolutely rescues and I've worked with numerous rescues so I do support saving these guys. I just feel with my inexperience, I may end up doing more harm than good if I tried to rescue a bearded.
I will more than likely be doing that after I've had this sweetheart for about a year to give me time to learn first hand what is needed for the best life possible.
Of course, this is my own opinion :)

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Once you have one for a bit you'll get a routine and they are so easy . Stay close to the forum and we'll help through your first brumation. Probably the most important thing is the lights . Reptisun uvb is good and a uva light as well. Both depend on the size and depth of your tank. No heat rocks. They don't feel warmth through their belly and they can get burnt. Calcium with and without d3. When you get closer . These things are life and death stuff they must have. Good place to start gathering your supplies.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are pro's and con's to babies...you get to learn them from the beginning and form a unique bond..however babies require alot of care and require much more food and during their growth it's super super important to have things spot on so they grow well...
younger juv's are less fragile, past their critical "stage" still can get a really good bond with..
Adults can be equally as hard but they are more stable, eat less, but...you don't know how they grew up, were they well cared for? did they have all that they required growing up? sometimes they are harder to form a bond with as you have to gain their trust at times.
Special needs are not for the beginners and can be more than you want or can care for..

we've put together tons of info for new comers in the links below our comments and tons of knowledge here to help out. happy reading :)

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I so agree. I got a really small one and he took a lot of time everyday. Alot of feeding and the calcium and d3 . Hef was a juvenile and we have a great bond.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Also crickets that small you'll have to order online . Pet stores don't have them small enough. Unless you have a good bait store or cricket breeder . I lucked out and rainbow crickets is 40 minutes away from me. Check your area on google.

fureverywhere

Bearded Dragon Egg
So far two days. My girl brought him up and he got excited picking a fly from her window sill. I'm guessing maybe six live crickets a day plus regular juvenile food and water?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So far two days. My girl brought him up and he got excited picking a fly from her window sill. I'm guessing maybe six live crickets a day plus regular juvenile food and water?
As many crickets as he'll eat, offered three times a day. Avoid processed pellet food, it's complete junk. Just lots of good insects, and some daily supplemental dusting with calcium and a multivitamin.

Most of us don't put water in with our dragons. They rarely drink standing water, and it raises the humidity of the enclosure, which isn't good. I give my dragons water via an eye dropper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hef drinks in his bath and eats alot of salad.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
They need alot of food in the beginning right now feed him as much as hell eat he's got some fast growing to do.

Latest posts