• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help!

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So let me just preface this by saying that we are going to the vet at 730 tomorrow morning...and I'm so glad to be back. Haven't been able to log on in forever!...so Nacho just came out of brumation about 4 days ago. He hasn't eaten anything I've offered, and more concerning, he hasn't pooped in over 2 weeks. Is this normal? I've soaked him hoping he would go. He drank alot, for the first time ever from his bath. I'm freaking out, as it's our first time dealing with brumation. He's also alot darker than normal. He's his same sweet self, other than this. I about got crucified for asking for advice on fb.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I haven't had experience yet with brumation so I don't have much advise. I know the drinking of the water is normal, he's been sleeping so I'm sure he's thirsty. Is he sitting under his basking and his UV? Mine get darker when they are absorbing their UVB maybe that's what he is doing???

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome back. I can't help either.Hoping someone who can will catch this post. I haven't been here long but I really like this forum everyone is helpful and encouraging .

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brumation is beardie specific. my boy phases in and when he comes out he phases out. Is awake time slowly increases his activities slowly increases his appetite slowly increases and just pooping slowly increases. This is my first winter with my Girl Although she's 5or 6 years old. She does not normally have a high activity level. Hasn't figured her out yet. And when I do it may change. Have you got your heat right? Please let us know

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Things seem to be fine with my guy. I rescheduled his vet appt for later today, as it was -10 degrees here this morning. But I offered him his food dish, and he ate a good amount of greens, and about 4 supers. Then he did a GIGANTIC poo in his tub. I cancelled our appt. For now. Hate dragging him out in the cold if not absolutely necessary, as our vet is an hour away. This brumation stuff can be scary, but we're limping through. His color also is returning to normal.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, keep us posted and let us know what the vet. says. We have very cold temperatures here too :( I am glad he is doing better that is a good sign.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ya, that sounds about right. Its a little scary the first time it happens but pretty natural for them. Did it lose any weight or does the skin look wrinkled? How is the tail base? Is it nice and thick?

Latest posts