• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PLEASE HELP: Very Sick Beardie

angeldragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I have tried contacting vets, but no one is taking in new clients, and my beardie is very sick right now. His mouth has been open all day, his beard is very black and his fat pads and eyes are sunken. He is very lethargic, he pooped the white thing yesterday and still ate yesterday. We've been giving him baths, but I really don't know what else I can do to help him. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you so much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,

I have tried contacting vets, but no one is taking in new clients, and my beardie is very sick right now. His mouth has been open all day, his beard is very black and his fat pads and eyes are sunken. He is very lethargic, he pooped the white thing yesterday and still ate yesterday. We've been giving him baths, but I really don't know what else I can do to help him. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you so much.
Please go over your lighting ---- the UVB brand and bulb where in the tank ? Basking bulb is it a clear bright white or a colored or daytime bulb? How are you taking basking basking temps digital probe thermometer please? HOw long has he been this way ?

angeldragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB is Reptisun T5 22 inch and is right above the tank. Basking bulb is a coloured daytime bulb. He's been like this for a week or so, black beard. 2 weeks ago, his left side of this beard was swollen, but it has since diminished I think.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is Reptisun T5 22 inch and is right above the tank. Basking bulb is a coloured daytime bulb. He's been like this for a week or so, black beard. 2 weeks ago, his left side of this beard was swollen, but it has since diminished I think.
Ok the colored bulb please get rid of it as soon as possible- please get a clear bright white basking bulb example Exo Terra intense basking bulb-- the screen on your tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type

angeldragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
It hasn't been a year yet, but I just ordered a new one, just in case. What kind of basking decor would that be?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It hasn't been a year yet, but I just ordered a new one, just in case. What kind of basking decor would that be?
Anything he can sit on directly under the uvb that is 8-10 inches - please get that basking bulb replaced- colored bulbs are harmful to the eyes and not good for basking - you want to mimic the sun - clear bright white produce uv and he needs that-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just asked another forum, and someone said that he may have cancer :(.
It's possible you won't know till you get him in for blood work - here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org
If you live in a small area type in a cities zip code closest to you- I will go look to see who responded to your post

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok yes ahbd is good that was the first pic I have seen - I did not realize he was in the shape he is in - keep him comfortable as best as you can I don't know if you still want to get him in or not but you have the option having that choice -

angeldragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for your help. Our precious baby has now passed away today, I'm hoping he was as comfortable as we could make him. Thank you again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for your help. Our precious baby has now passed away today, I'm hoping he was as comfortable as we could make him. Thank you again.
I am so sorry to hear- it's always heartbreaking

Lmolinar

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I’m so sorry for your loss. We had a similiar experience with our dear sweet dragon that passed in January.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi everyone,

Hi we rescue and rehome. A black beard means he’s very angry and upset due to soemthing not right in the tank. Sunken eyes means he’s too close to the heat lamp or UVb and is getting burned/he is too hot. Are u using a PowerSun? If so, remove it ASAP!! Those burn and kill a beardie and if used needs to be 18 inches away from the dragon. Make sure u check the temp with an infrared gun; get one from HOmeDepot; shine it an inch away from his basking spot to get the accurate temp and u need to have a digital thermometer with a probe & u place the probe on the basking platform. Also he needs to be 10 inches away or from from the UVB, he can’t sit closer than 10inches. His Mouth open also means he prolly has an Upper respiratory infection he needs a reptile vet for antibiotics ASAP!! Ask the vet to please squeeze you in. Remove any water from the enclosure for now and stop the baths. Typically when giving baths it’s only 2/week for 15min minimum & more when shedding & the water should be way below his neck, never get water in his ears. At nite never leave food or water in the tank. Also do u have the heat lamp (Zoomed basking bulb) and the long light for UVB. He needs UVB, please buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s a long tube and the length should cover 70 percent of his tank and all uvb lights need replacing every 6Mnths religiously!! That’s the best and most recommended UVB to have, without proper UVb or incorrect uvb or not replacing every 6Mnths; the Beardie will have severe lethargy, unable to eat move or walk which leads to MBDisease and eventually death Please get this ASAP also the temp for an adult beardie should be 95-96 Nothing higher. Please make sure he is 10inches away minimum from the UVB & 7 inches away from the heat lamp; he can be getting burned. Please check & either raise the basking bulb or get a lower basking platform & get him to a vet

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Not Good at all. Please read my in depth post on proper care that could have helped your beardie. Many people don’t know the basics on proper care.

Ruvi99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not Good at all. Please read my in depth post on proper care that could have helped your beardie. Many people don’t know the basics on proper care.
I don’t understand how people can get animals and not do in depth research on the care prior to getting them. Colored bulb? No basking spot? It breaks my heart reading this. It’s not fair to the animal. Just because he’s a beardie does not make his/her life less important. Care should be a top priority!! He was like this for a whole week? This isn’t fair. I have a 9 year old beardie and he is thriving. He’s in a 6ft bio active tank. The entire set up is from “TheBiodude”. Lights are all from Arcadia and all of his supplements. They both have care sheets and info as well. Please take the time to do the research or don’t get any more animals.

Latest posts