• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plants dying in vivarium from UVB??

brantan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys,

I need help! I recently set up a new bio active terrarium and am still waiting to introduce my Pygmy once the temp and humidity are a-ok. The plants I have are: aloe Vera, rosemary, oregano, succulents and Chinese Jade. They’ve taken really well the past 2 weeks but just noticed the rosemary and oregano dying this weekend since my lights arrived (I have both LED and 14% UVB) - not sure if my UVB lamp is too strong and burning the plants off? What should I do to prevent that and are there more hardy plants you guys have planted successfully with the strong UVB around?

Many thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 70556887793__CF1D9303-B2A8-46CF-AD31-54B70E388D7F.jpeg
    70556887793__CF1D9303-B2A8-46CF-AD31-54B70E388D7F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys,

I need help! I recently set up a new bio active terrarium and am still waiting to introduce my Pygmy once the temp and humidity are a-ok. The plants I have are: aloe Vera, rosemary, oregano, succulents and Chinese Jade. They’ve taken really well the past 2 weeks but just noticed the rosemary and oregano dying this weekend since my lights arrived (I have both LED and 14% UVB) - not sure if my UVB lamp is too strong and burning the plants off? What should I do to prevent that and are there more hardy plants you guys have planted successfully with the strong UVB around?

Many thanks in advance!!
Its possible the 14% is too strong - how far is the distance from the plants? I am going to see if I can get some help w/ this --

brantan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its possible the 14% is too strong - how far is the distance from the plants? I am going to see if I can get some help w/ this --
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for getting back to me - the distance would be roughly the height of the tank so just under 60cm.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for getting back to me - the distance would be roughly the height of the tank so just under 60cm.
Ok let me see if the person I reached out to can help on this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok let me see if the person I reached out to can help on this
It's hard to say for sure. I haven't had good luck with live plants in an enclosure but it can certainly be done. Having grow lights in place is important- it sounds like they have that with the UVB and LEDs. Temps can play a part. If they don't do well in warmer areas, move them to cooler areas and vice versa. I'd imagine the soil would also have an effect. They may not like something about the soil consistency, drainage, or acidity. Adjusting those is beyond what I've tried so I can't be of much direct help on those. Trampling was a big issue when I tried adding live plants to Dundee's enclosure. I think this is also a common problem. Plants get bitten and dug up and just stomped on sometimes when they're in an enclosure. Using hardy things like grasses tends to be the solution that I've read about the most.

Latest posts