• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Petco NOT the place where pets should go

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well today it was much worst. What I saw was small, white, and flat. I'm worried this may possibly be tapeworm instead of pinworms or even both. I recently stopped giving her crickets all together. Do other feeding such as dubias also carry these types of parasites? I am going to start doing my research to make sure I know more about the places I order her food from :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Can they get worms from the greens if we don't wash them properly?

I've never heard of it before. My vet just told me too about pinworms always being in their system but not always a problem that needs to be treated. Dexter has pinworms but not enough that she feels needs to be treated at this time. She's got something else going on that I'm going to post about in a little bit.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've never heard of it before. My vet just told me too about pinworms always being in their system but not always a problem that needs to be treated. Dexter has pinworms but not enough that she feels needs to be treated at this time. She's got something else going on that I'm going to post about in a little bit.

After what I've been thru with the pinworm Panacur scare and him not eating. Doing the slurry concoction. I just want to be sure I can't hurt him anymore. Thank you PatsyB!

Sorry to hear about Dexter! Sending you prayers from Cincinnati!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
RaeAnn - as far as I know crickets are the only ones that can carry parasites. But I'm still new at this.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is what I have herd to but now I'm all freaked out lol. I want to be extra sure I'm not going to cause this for her again once she's had treatment

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is what I have herd to but now I'm all freaked out lol. I want to be extra sure I'm not going to cause this for her again once she's had treatment

I completely agree with you and feel exactly like you do! That was awful and I don't wish that on any beardie or the parents.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
From what I know crickets are the main culprit in pinworms, I think the big thing is not letting your beardies eat bugs from outside as you really don't know where they've been and what they've been eating and what they are carrying. It really is buyer beware I know some buy earthworms, red worms and you really have to be careful as you just don't know how they've been raised.
Doing slurries with probiotics and supplements are important when on meds will really help keep them hydrated and get some well needed support during the process.
I hope your beardie can recover quickly, take samples and pictures if possible to help your vet.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm going to say the same thing, that I hear a lot about crickets causing pinworms. People need to understand though that you HAVE to treat your feeders like they are also your pets. That means constantly making sure their tanks are clean and they are well fed. Just like your beardies can get sick sitting in poop all day, so can your feeders. So it's important to care for them too.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you all for your responses. I try to take very good care of the feeders while they are with me. They get their chow and water source plus fresh veggies and greens every day. I don't like bugs but I think it's cruel to buy something and not take care of it, plus my girl eats them and I do like her lol. I am going to start being much more cautious about where I order from, I was just going online and ordering from the places with the cheapest price, that's going to change and I should've known better.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh and I thought I would tell you guys I think I discovered one of the issues with my petco. So I found a vet that could see Spyra today, the receptionist informs me that this vet has a contract with the petco here. So I'm thinking great! My girl should be in good hands than! Boy was I wrong. He asked us about her diet and I explained to him that we feed veggies, greens, dubias, and phoenix worms. He than tells me to not kid myself? (i have no clue what he meant by that lol), than he says they need much more variety and asked me if I've tried feeding her pizza!! I seriously thought he was joking until he went on to explain that it has cheese, bread, tomato, and everything they need. I explained that could kill her! And he argued with me and said "they all die quick anyways" I ended up leaving. You can't even make this type of stuff up! My luck is just horrible:( this dude charged me 50 bucks just to tell me that I need to feed her pizza. Oh and he told me basking lights burn them and they are dangerous and that I should be using a heating pad that uses hot water instead of coils haha what a joke! When I was trying to get my girl and just leave (honestly at that point I felt like crying) he comes out and tells me she could have maggots and to bring in a feces sample asap. I wouldn't let him give her any medication if he was the last "vet" in the world!! So yeah, that is who works with my petco explains A LOT!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh and I thought I would tell you guys I think I discovered one of the issues with my petco. So I found a vet that could see Spyra today, the receptionist informs me that this vet has a contract with the petco here. So I'm thinking great! My girl should be in good hands than! Boy was I wrong. He asked us about her diet and I explained to him that we feed veggies, greens, dubias, and phoenix worms. He than tells me to not kid myself? (i have no clue what he meant by that lol), than he says they need much more variety and asked me if I've tried feeding her pizza!! I seriously thought he was joking until he went on to explain that it has cheese, bread, tomato, and everything they need. I explained that could kill her! And he argued with me and said "they all die quick anyways" I ended up leaving. You can't even make this type of stuff up! My luck is just horrible:( this dude charged me 50 bucks just to tell me that I need to feed her pizza. Oh and he told me basking lights burn them and they are dangerous and that I should be using a heating pad that uses hot water instead of coils haha what a joke! When I was trying to get my girl and just leave (honestly at that point I felt like crying) he comes out and tells me she could have maggots and to bring in a feces sample asap. I wouldn't let him give her any medication if he was the last "vet" in the world!! So yeah, that is who works with my petco explains A LOT!
WTH?? OMG that is insane!! what a joke he needs to have his license revoked! Pizza?!?!?! wow :( I'm soo sorry you had to go thru that!! wow I just am at a loss for words..

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Omg omg I am so so so sorry to hear this! This guy needs to be reported! Everything he told you is wrong!

I am glad you took Spyra out of there and ran!

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My girlfriend almost flipped out! I completely agree! He was completely nuts, and to state "they all die soon" like wth, who says that! After this experience I have decided to just wait until the 16th for the other vet to return. And who knows maybe I'll become a vet since obviously it doesn't require much to be one around here lol. I can honestly say it really beats all I have ever seen.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He did mention that her tongue was swollen but honestly I disregarded everything he said. Well I just fed her and noticed it actually is very red and swollen. Any ideas on what this could be? Sorry for so many questions, since I really don't have a vet to turn to for another 8 days i really don't know where else to turn.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He did mention that her tongue was swollen but honestly I disregarded everything he said. Well I just fed her and noticed it actually is very red and swollen. Any ideas on what this could be? Sorry for so many questions, since I really don't have a vet to turn to for another 8 days i really don't know where else to turn.

Okay can you tell me again the kinds of bulbs? Do you dust with calcium and his often?
Besides dubia's and BSFL's do you feed her anything else?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay can you tell me again the kinds of bulbs? Do you dust with calcium and his often?
Besides dubia's and BSFL's do you feed her anything else?

The basking bulb is a 100watt Exo Terra intense basking spot bulb. The uvb is a reptisun 10.0 tube style. Her basking spot is about 110 (her favorite spot) but she does have areas on her log that are 105-115 degrees F. I use calcium powder every other day during her first feeding. She eats about 20-40 dusted insects every other day. The brand I use is fluckers repa calcium with D3. And every Sunday I use herptivite multivitamin on her first feeding only.

Other than that, she gets collard greens, we recently tried mustard greens but she hates them lol, mango (only a little), yellow squash, and sweet potato. We have experimented and given her strawberry, green beans, carrots (only a small amount very seldom) and we've tried water melon.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The basking bulb is a 100watt Exo Terra intense basking spot bulb. The uvb is a reptisun 10.0 tube style. Her basking spot is about 110 (her favorite spot) but she does have areas on her log that are 105-115 degrees F. I use calcium powder every other day during her first feeding. She eats about 20-40 dusted insects every other day. The brand I use is fluckers repa calcium with D3. And every Sunday I use herptivite multivitamin on her first feeding only.

Other than that, she gets collard greens, we recently tried mustard greens but she hates them lol, mango (only a little), yellow squash, and sweet potato. We have experimented and given her strawberry, green beans, carrots (only a small amount very seldom) and we've tried water melon.

Are your bulbs more than 6 months old?

I asked about the food to see if possibly she ate something that could have bit her back. Doesn't sound like it but she could have a food allergy? Idk do they have food allergies?? Idk but swollen tongue is odd. How is her appetite today? How is her behavior? Is she any better than yesterday?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Are your bulbs more than 6 months old?

I asked about the food to see if possibly she ate something that could have bit her back. Doesn't sound like it but she could have a food allergy? Idk do they have food allergies?? Idk but swollen tongue is odd. How is her appetite today? How is her behavior? Is she any better than yesterday?

She is still eating like a little horse thank God. The basking bulb is only maybe a month old. Her behavior is great much better than yesterday. We took her carpet out to clean it and put paper towls in her cage for the time being. She actually has really come to life. It make her tank much brighter and she really seems to enjoy it. I'm not sure about allergies? I would assume they probably can get them and with the luck I have been having it wouldn't surprise me if she does have them. She isn't in pain, or at least she isn't acting like she is. She's still using it to eat. I'm hoping it's just something minor that will go away or at least not cause her any issues until we get in to see the vet.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That is insane about the vet! Although I swear when I was starting out, I read in a book that you could feed them pizza occasionally for like a treat. Maybe he read the same book, or he wrote itLOL!

I just took my girls to a vet. There is one right around the corner from my house that says they treat bearded dragons, in fact I took my frog there once because they told me that they treated frogs and when I got there the vet said no I don't but here's some pictures of some bearded dragons that I treated! There is also another vet that is a little bit of a trek that says they treat exotics too. I did a little digging and found the one close to my house does not belong to any reptile organizations where the farther one is recognized by an exotics organization, so that's the one I went with. Anyway when I took the girls out of their bags at the vet they were shocked at their size then told me they see Petco babies so they are used to treating much smaller dragons. It made me feel good knowing that Petco was taking their babies to an accredited vet. The vet that I had eventually taken my frog to, also told me that he used to be a Petco vet. Now he is one of the best exotics vet in the city.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is insane about the vet! Although I swear when I was starting out, I read in a book that you could feed them pizza occasionally for like a treat. Maybe he read the same book, or he wrote itLOL!

I just took my girls to a vet. There is one right around the corner from my house that says they treat bearded dragons, in fact I took my frog there once because they told me that they treated frogs and when I got there the vet said no I don't but here's some pictures of some bearded dragons that I treated! There is also another vet that is a little bit of a trek that says they treat exotics too. I did a little digging and found the one close to my house does not belong to any reptile organizations where the farther one is recognized by an exotics organization, so that's the one I went with. Anyway when I took the girls out of their bags at the vet they were shocked at their size then told me they see Petco babies so they are used to treating much smaller dragons. It made me feel good knowing that Petco was taking their babies to an accredited vet. The vet that I had eventually taken my frog to, also told me that he used to be a Petco vet. Now he is one of the best exotics vet in the city.

That's is great. I also think its so awesome that petco does work with vets like this, I honest had no idea until today. Unfortunately the vet our petco is linked up with is a complete idiot (I hate saying that especially when referring to someone who has a medical degree, but this guy truly was nuts). I couldn't even talk to the man, any time I would ask a question I could see his face getting red from anger so I just shut up and thought to myself "just get through this and you never have to come back!" Lol. I feel sorry for the petco down here, I would hate to have to deal with this man on the regular. At one point he randomly told me not to get a ferret? Haha. I have no idea what brought that up so I was just like ok? I won't? And he goes on to tell me how the ferret will hate my dragon and kill her. By this point I had already figured out the man is crazy so I just pretended to be interested and thanked him for the heads up. It was a wild experience.

Latest posts