• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

parasites?

Mongo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our dragon Mongo was diagnosed with 3 kinds of parasites. We followed the vet's treatment and care instructions and when she was rechecked several weeks later her fecal showed no parasites. 2 or 3 weeks later however her blood test results showed an elevated white blood cell count . The vet said that she could still have parasites or it could be a virus or a bacterial infection. She is sleeping in her cave until we drag her out and feed her by hand so I know she is not feeling well. The vet said if when her blood is rechecked this week that if she still has an elevated white blood cell count that we should put her on antibiotics. Is this vet just a hack? Antibiotics only treat bacteria and would do nothing for parasites or viral infections. What should I do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Our dragon Mongo was diagnosed with 3 kinds of parasites. We followed the vet's treatment and care instructions and when she was rechecked several weeks later her fecal showed no parasites. 2 or 3 weeks later however her blood test results showed an elevated white blood cell count . The vet said that she could still have parasites or it could be a virus or a bacterial infection. She is sleeping in her cave until we drag her out and feed her by hand so I know she is not feeling well. The vet said if when her blood is rechecked this week that if she still has an elevated white blood cell count that we should put her on antibiotics. Is this vet just a hack? Antibiotics only treat bacteria and would do nothing for parasites or viral infections. What should I do?
It depends on the infection -- you can get another vet op www.arav.org at least hes doing blood work and not just prescribing antibiotics out of the air like some I have seen on here ----- make sure your lighting is up to par NO coils for UVB NO colored bulbs No heat rocks or mats and NO sand ------ the lighting in the tank is the most important thing in that tank basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer those are really important especially if the dragon is not feeling good ---- if you need more help please ask --- the parasites would of caused lack of eating and if they are gone thats good but the meds also cause lack of eating --- w / the elevated white blood count something is up -- the website I gave is for finding a reptile vet ---- you can check it out see if you can find one in your area and go from there -- I would request the office visit / blood work from that vets office and take it w/ you if you decide to go to another vet ---- it is up to you

Latest posts