• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pale and lethargic beardie with no appetite

13willows

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, all. I have a 10-year-old bearded dragon and have never had health issues with her before, but now have concerns and could use some help. On Wednesday (the day before yesterday) she was out of her tank doing fine - when I put her back in, she pooped, and a few moments later I noticed she was pale and her stomach appeared bloated. Now for the last two days she has remained pale, but no longer bloated. She is also lethargic. Her eyes do not appear as excited as before either. Lastly, she has no appetite. She usually loves her mealworms, but she did not care when I placed one in front of her. I just drove back home from college today with her (she usually perks up in car rides, too) so I do not have tank information (temperature, humidity, etc.) from her tank in my apartment. I am wondering if anybody has any thoughts as I have never dealt with this before and I am worried! Everything online leads me to believe it could be impaction, but she did have a bowel movement Wednesday right before this occurred. Any advice or thoughts at all are helpful, thank you all very much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, all. I have a 10-year-old bearded dragon and have never had health issues with her before, but now have concerns and could use some help. On Wednesday (the day before yesterday) she was out of her tank doing fine - when I put her back in, she pooped, and a few moments later I noticed she was pale and her stomach appeared bloated. Now for the last two days she has remained pale, but no longer bloated. She is also lethargic. Her eyes do not appear as excited as before either. Lastly, she has no appetite. She usually loves her mealworms, but she did not care when I placed one in front of her. I just drove back home from college today with her (she usually perks up in car rides, too) so I do not have tank information (temperature, humidity, etc.) from her tank in my apartment. I am wondering if anybody has any thoughts as I have never dealt with this before and I am worried! Everything online leads me to believe it could be impaction, but she did have a bowel movement Wednesday right before this occurred. Any advice or thoughts at all are helpful, thank you all very much.
I am gonna have someone else help you w/ her - she is better w/ the older dragons - I will get back w/ you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the response I got
Is it possible she ate something harmful while she was out ? Aside from that there are a lot of things that can come on suddenly to make a dragon ill . If she doesn't look better in a few days and seems ill it might be best to have a reptile vet do bloodwork and maybe xrays or ultrasound.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Sorry your girl isn't feeling well, it is very distressing having to go through that.
I agree, it is possible she could have ingested something toxic. Has she ever developed infertile eggs
at all through her lifetime?
For now, can you get some extra oral fluids for her, just to get some hydration into her? You could try
some black or tart cherry juice to help detox her system in case her kidneys are having trouble. Does
she have any swelling in any of her hands, fingers, toes, etc like what gout would appear as?

Tracie