• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opuntia?

Xoek

Bearded Dragon Egg
I heard dragons can eat opuntia. Is this true, and would this be a specific type of opuntia, or the ones that grow around my house?
d6144deff283146dba5b1d330738f897.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If it's the type that you can eat then it's the type your dragon can eat. Just make sure you cut out the spikes. Cactus pad, Nopales, are a great staple for bearded dragons. They can even eat the prickly pear fruit, if you take the seeds out.

Xoek

Bearded Dragon Egg
We can eat them, I just don't bother to. They seem like more trouble than they're worth

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use a veggie peeler just go get the spikes off. I rarely find them here. They are actually very nutritious and an every day food for them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed mine pads and the fruit often most of our stores here carry the pads and in summer the fruit.. I just pick the thorns off (here in the stores they don't seem to have that many so pretty simple).. cut them up and de seed the fruit.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
How finely do you have to cut them?

I was so excited when I saw this post, they grow native down here and make a staple part of my tortoises diet, so I always have them around. :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How finely do you have to cut them?

I was so excited when I saw this post, they grow native down here and make a staple part of my tortoises diet, so I always have them around. :)
just get the thorns off and cut them to size for your beardie so little pieces is fine.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use a veggie peeler to get the thorns off then just chop it into pieces.

Latest posts