• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not sure how or what to feed

Beardiemomma26

Bearded Dragon Egg
We bought our girly off of Craigslist, the man who had said it belonged to his son and he did not know much about it just that it would eat crickets and needed the "special lights" so I do not know ANYTHING about her previous diet, health or ANYTHING. since being at our home ( about 2-3 weeks) she refuses to eat any greens or fruits but lives her crickets and super worms!
She also does not drink from her dish which I have read is normal and I've since began using a misting bottle to get her nose wet! After searching every book, every website, every owner IM CONFUSED! when do I feed her? How often? What times? Do I feed her crix or worms daily? Do I stop all crix and worms till she eats greens? Someone please help me!!!! I'm so confused in how to do this!

I forgot to add from what the previous owner said she's about a year and a half old - 15 inches from nose to top of tail and we tried to sex her from the Internet and we are assuming female (looks more like female than male) from online!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yikes indeed! First off, I'd recommend reading the care sheets listed here in the forums. They will help you in caring for your dragon and filling in any gaps on the research you have done. Soon one of the mods should come around with some good links.

Now, as it relates to feeding, it sounds like you've gotten a dragon that unfortunately hasn't been given the best diet. Some owners turn their dragons into live feeder junkies, but its good to hear he's got an owner that wants the best for her dragon! :D The best thing to do is continue to feed your dragon live food, but offer greens first. Maybe try turning on the lights, putting in a healthy salad, and feeding him live food an hour or two later. Eventually your dragon will come round, but it will take work (and unfortunately some wasted salad greens too).

I definitely don't recommend forcing your dragon or starving them to the point of eating greens. You have to transition them over to a healthier diet, they will eventually realize what's good for them. It's true for humans too! :D Pick green colored items from this link: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html . Good luck!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
General feeding/supplementation schedule:
For hatchlings and young juveniles (up to 2 months): Fresh greens/veg. 1-2 times daily - Live prey 2-3 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – one day per week calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For juveniles and sub-adults (2 months to sexual maturity): Fresh greens/veg 1-2 times daily - Live prey 1-2 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – One day per week with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For adults (generally 1+ year): Fresh greens/veg 1- 2 times daily - Live prey every 2-3 days.
Dusted: Live Prey every other feeding with phosphorus free calcium - Twice per month with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

As there are different circumstances that may arise, this schedule is recommended only as a general guide and may be altered to accommodate individual situations. Using a tracking method of when you dust prevents unnecessary use of product and more importantly, potential harm to your dragon! With proper and effective UVB lighting, supplementation with vitamin D3 is not imperative but should be provided in small amounts. Excessive levels of oral vitamin D3 can potentially lead to the excessive absorption and utilization of calcium and/or toxicity as can the excessive use of supplements containing high levels of vitamin A. Over use of any supplement can have the potential to cause serious health problems, stick to an appropriate supplementation schedule.

Read More: http://beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/

Latest posts