• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not a Beardie Mum Yet!!

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a future bearded dragon owner who is doing LOTS of research prior to adopting my beardie. My vivarium is on the way and I am super excited. I have lots of questions so watch this space and I just want to thank everyone in advance for sharing knowledge that will hopefully help me become a great owner.
Amy

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum amy :) please make shure you have the correct lighting before you get your baby, no compact coil bulbs for uvb, (you want a t5 10.0 long tube fixture with a reflector in it) no colored bulbs, no lights on at night, buy a digital probe thermometer (stick ons only Measure ambient air temperature) for a baby they want it hott 95-110 for the basking spot, and 70-80 for the cool side of the tank, diet is only second to lighting, no meal worms or super worms for the first 4-6 months, BSFL (black Soldier fly larva) are really good for babies (these do not need to be calcium dusted) roaches are a great staple feeder aswell, crickets are okay (i dont like feeding them personally, they’re a very dirty feeder) they’re the easiest to get so... I attached a pic of the type of uvb you want.
Heres a a link to the bsfl (order the large , even these are tiny) please do ask questions, theres lots of helpful people here :) with very good advice/tips
Symtombsf.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, thank you so much for the info, I have to be honest the lights etc is quite confusing. I have compiled a list of items, please correct if any are wrong or anything I’m missing.
  • Vivexotic aal vivarium 6x2x2ft
  • Reptile Systems T5 UVB Lamp Ferguson Zone 3 - 12% 850mm 39w​

• Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot 100W​

• Microclimate Dimmer B1 High Temp Thermostat Black 600w​

• Reptile Systems Ceramic Heat Lamp 100w​

• Microclimate Ministat On-Off Thermostat 600w​

• 2 probe thermometers at each end​

• Ballast​

• Ceramic lamp holders​

• Lamp guard (do I need two, one for basking lamp and one for ceramic night heat lamp)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, thank you so much for the info, I have to be honest the lights etc is quite confusing. I have compiled a list of items, please correct if any are wrong or anything I’m missing.
  • Vivexotic aal vivarium 6x2x2ft
  • Reptile Systems T5 UVB Lamp Ferguson Zone 3 - 12% 850mm 39w​

• Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot 100W​

• Microclimate Dimmer B1 High Temp Thermostat Black 600w​

• Reptile Systems Ceramic Heat Lamp 100w​

• Microclimate Ministat On-Off Thermostat 600w​

• 2 probe thermometers at each end​

• Ballast​

• Ceramic lamp holders​

• Lamp guard (do I need two, one for basking lamp and one for ceramic night heat lamp)

The lighting IS so confusing! :( I totally agree , wow you got quite the budget! Lol , i will admit you have gone far past what most use for lighting/gizmos (most people just have a long uvb, a basking bulb, a timer, and a digital probe thermostat) (but you’ll have the most healthiest beardie there is!) its better to have more than less, just make shure theres atleast 2-3 hides/dark areas in the enclosure, if the beardie wants to escape the lighting, with my Beardie i have the uvb lights turn off about an 2 hours before bedtime and i leave the basking on till lights out time(to simulate the sun setting) i give you mad props :) , people usually dont go to such an extent with their lighting.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Lamp gaurd? Like something that prevents them from touching the hot bulb right? And u dont need a lamp gaurd for the che, he should be sleeping at night and shouldn’t be trying to get at the bulb.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Is the light you recommended 10%, I thought I needed a 12%.
Thanks for the link to the Bsfl, I’m in the uk so hopefully I can get them easily here.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
The lighting IS so confusing! :( I totally agree , wow you got quite the budget! Lol , i will admit you have gone far past what most use for lighting/gizmos (most people just have a long uvb, a basking bulb, a timer, and a digital probe thermostat) (but you’ll have the most healthiest beardie there is!) its better to have more than less, just make shure theres atleast 2-3 hides/dark areas in the enclosure, if the beardie wants to escape the lighting, with my Beardie i have the uvb lights turn off about an 2 hours before bedtime and i leave the basking on till lights out time(to simulate the sun setting) i give you mad props :) , people usually dont go to such an extent with their lighting.
I thought I had gone over the top slightly but just wanted the best start for my beardie. Love the idea of simulating sunset with the basking lamp, cool idea!! I rushed into fish keeping last year, my fish are doing really well amazingly but it’s been a real learning curve, so this time I want to make sure I am prepared.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Lamp gaurd? Like something that prevents them from touching the hot bulb right? And u dont need a lamp gaurd for the che, he should be sleeping at night and shouldn’t be trying to get at the bulb.
Yes for the hot bulb. I know it’s should be a certain distance away but was gona broach that subject with you when I come to set it up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the light you recommended 10%, I thought I needed a 12%.
Thanks for the link to the Bsfl, I’m in the uk so hopefully I can get them easily here.
Yes you need the 12% bulb --- and you should be able to find the BSFL -- some of the other stuff your getting like the micro timer and thermostat you can use but I dont use that stuff -- I do everything manually --- why are you getting a ballast -- your UVB fixture has a ballast in it already --- the lamp guards are used for inside the tank - are you putting the lights inside the tank and if they are accessible to the dragon then you need them--- all the bulbs he should not be able to get to them unless your height of the tank is real low and or the decor is too high --- have you gotten the UVB yet? When you do please let me know so I can help you get it placed--- your basking bulb will be trial and error for temps -- hes going into a good size tank so I would have another basking area set up like in the middle of that tank -- make sure he has an area where he can go to w/ out the UVB --- otherwise he will be hiding from it if its too much --

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Yes you need the 12% bulb --- and you should be able to find the BSFL -- some of the other stuff your getting like the micro timer and thermostat you can use but I dont use that stuff -- I do everything manually --- why are you getting a ballast -- your UVB fixture has a ballast in it already --- the lamp guards are used for inside the tank - are you putting the lights inside the tank and if they are accessible to the dragon then you need them--- all the bulbs he should not be able to get to them unless your height of the tank is real low and or the decor is too high --- have you gotten the UVB yet? When you do please let me know so I can help you get it placed--- your basking bulb will be trial and error for temps -- hes going into a good size tank so I would have another basking area set up like in the middle of that tank -- make sure he has an area where he can go to w/ out the UVB --- otherwise he will be hiding from it if its too much --
Hi I’m getting the micro timer etc purely because I have a health condition and it will make things easier for me if I am unable physically to get downstairs at a specific time.

Thought I needed the ballast :rolleyes:.

I’m not sure yet about positioning of lights, again definitely will need help with this. My vivarium is being delivered either tomorrow or Friday, hopefully it will be put together this weekend. I will take pics and post measurements when it’s up and if you wouldn’t mind guiding me on the best way to do it, I would be eternally grateful :). Another basking area? So get two lamps? Okay great, didn’t know that was an option!

I will create caves for him to hide, I was also going to create areas in my background etc for potted live plants, is this okay to do? I was going to plant herbs, basil, rosemary etc for him to munch on (cooler end) and some cacti species for the basking area (spineless) and some large leafy plants (haven’t decided what yet) to also create shade at one end.

thank you so much for info.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I’m getting the micro timer etc purely because I have a health condition and it will make things easier for me if I am unable physically to get downstairs at a specific time.

Thought I needed the ballast :rolleyes:.

I’m not sure yet about positioning of lights, again definitely will need help with this. My vivarium is being delivered either tomorrow or Friday, hopefully it will be put together this weekend. I will take pics and post measurements when it’s up and if you wouldn’t mind guiding me on the best way to do it, I would be eternally grateful :). Another basking area? So get two lamps? Okay great, didn’t know that was an option!

I will create caves for him to hide, I was also going to create areas in my background etc for potted live plants, is this okay to do? I was going to plant herbs, basil, rosemary etc for him to munch on (cooler end) and some cacti species for the basking area (spineless) and some large leafy plants (haven’t decided what yet) to also create shade at one end.

thank you so much for info.
Go here to this website for plants good for the dragon scroll to the bottom of the page
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
And yes I will be glad to help w/ the lighting --- you want another basking area since the tank is so big -- I would have the temps in the 90's - so you want a hot side temps 95-100 --- middle of the tank 90's and a cool side of the tank 80's -- if you want it lit up on that side use a household LED bulb -- it will give off no heat -- you also want your digital probe thermometers as well I would actually have 3 so you can keep track of the temps in the tank You can have the middle of the tank w/ your UVB and temps in the 90's so he can get both at the same time ---

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I will take a look at the plants. Thank you so much for all of this info, I will definitely reach out as soon as I’m setting up for guidance. Getting really excited and I have a while to wait yet ;).

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Go here to this website for plants good for the dragon scroll to the bottom of the page
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
And yes I will be glad to help w/ the lighting --- you want another basking area since the tank is so big -- I would have the temps in the 90's - so you want a hot side temps 95-100 --- middle of the tank 90's and a cool side of the tank 80's -- if you want it lit up on that side use a household LED bulb -- it will give off no heat -- you also want your digital probe thermometers as well I would actually have 3 so you can keep track of the temps in the tank You can have the middle of the tank w/ your UVB and temps in the 90's so he can get both at the same time ---
Oh my goodness, the plants list is incredible!!

Latest posts