• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank equals temp troubles

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I just upgraded our tank. It is 36L x 17W x 18H. I've got a 100w basking bulb as low as I can above mesh screen, but temp didn't even hit 90. (UVB isn't hooked up yet, but it won't change temp much.). The light fixture I have is a dual dome. I could add another bulb (say 50 watt?) and run both lights. Would that work? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just upgraded our tank. It is 36L x 17W x 18H. I've got a 100w basking bulb as low as I can above mesh screen, but temp didn't even hit 90. (UVB isn't hooked up yet, but it won't change temp much.). The light fixture I have is a dual dome. I could add another bulb (say 50 watt?) and run both lights. Would that work? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would add in the other bulb and see what you get temp wise as yea it needs to be warmer

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't think that adding another bulb in your dual dome is going to make the basking spot higher. The bulbs are seperate in the fixture so escentially that gives you 2 basking spots. The high beam of light in each bulb won't overlap. I would get a single dome with a higher watt bulb.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree, using a 150w bulb would be better to concentrate the light . Is 90 your air temp at the hot end or the temp of your basking spot? you really need a IR themometer if you dont have one already, its the only way to measure surface temps accurately

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I agree, using a 150w bulb would be better to concentrate the light . Is 90 your air temp at the hot end or the temp of your basking spot? you really need a IR themometer if you dont have one already, its the only way to measure surface temps accurately
I agree. I also noticed that surface temp will highly vary depending on the color/type of surface. When I started testing the furniture I was making, I had th temps perfect. But by the time I finished the furniture with a darker grout finish, I ended up having to buy a dimmer for my 100w bulb. How far away is your basking spot from the bulb?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk