• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New rescue beardie.

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got my first bearded dragon a few days ago but I have had other lizards and some snakes so I wouldn't say I'm exactly new to reptiles just to beardies. I wasn't planning on rescuing, I just thought I was getting a new baby but when I saw her it was obvious she needed some help. Nismo is a 3 year old female beardie, she's 17" from nose to tail and 8" from nose to vent. I haven't had the chance to weigh her yet as I don't have a scale right now but she's pretty thin. I've been looking at tons of forums and have found some friends on Facebook for advice and help but any more suggestions are welcome. I have some pictures of her then I'll go over her set up.

efac3f3d403b1c4395c8362463071f50.jpg
7b6a94687716cfe71a1e0af8ed299777.jpg
2af568eec0179ddc958d65f60c1acdd6.jpg

Her fat pads on her head are sunken in, her hip bones and ribs stick out(hard to see in pictures with her coloring), her legs are skinny, and I can feel her pelvis.

She came with a 75 gallon (4ft) tank. She has tile on the bottom and her UVB and heat lamp on one side (average 95-98 degrees) and her cool side stays at about 80-85 degrees. She has a water bowl, access to fresh greens at all times, and I'm currently giving her about 15-20 crickets and 2 or 3 dubias twice a day. I plan on going to mostly dubias but my local reptile store is out right now. She loves blueberries and apples so she's been getting them as treats. (The old owner had her 2 years and fed her collard greens, barely any other veggies or greens, and 1-2 crickets a day) I've also been giving her warm baths with a little bit of Powerade in them.

Picture of her after her first nice big meal with me.
3f44d45c5de3c13e78185f925b68739d.png

I'll be calling my vet tomorrow to see when they can get her in for a check up and fecal. She's also getting calcium on her insects. Besides being underweight she's a very happy and seemingly healthy girl. Her lights come on at 8am, I feed her when I get up and give her some time to digest the food then she comes out for play time. She likes to run on my bed but she's stuck there until the harness I ordered her comes. And at night she likes to burrow into my blankets and sleeps there as long as I'll let her. Sorry for the long into, I'm just very excited to be a beardie mom! And of course some more pictures of the little princess.
86e4ddc8b5030ef1c25808bd512ab152.png
4a601d174f86df034ae01c3eb09e456a.png
5b834f24f7f7d6f467f56d25da215e88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nismo is such a darling, I'm glad you found her. She does look thin, and her belly looks a bit distended, a fecal is a fantastic idea. I'm rather new to beardies myself, with a rescue of my own, and there's nothing better than seeing these sweeties get healthy and happy. There are some really experienced individuals on the forum that check posts pretty much daily. They'll be able to give you a ton of good info and support. They've been fantastic!

Congratulations on finding Nismo, and keep us posted. I'm rooting for her, and hoping for good news for her vet visit!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds like you are doing everything right! I would change the UVB bulb out just because you don't know how old it is and you want to make sure that she is getting optimal UVB coverage. Since she is so skinny I would try to bump up her basking temp a few degrees. 95-100 is good for adults but since she is so malnourished, I would do 100-105 for a bit until she gets more healthy.

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome to the forum. It looks to me like you're doing a fantastic job already! I would echo the vet visit.

I have to laugh at the mental vision of my wife walking in to find Falkor in our bed asleep.

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nismo is such a darling, I'm glad you found her. She does look thin, and her belly looks a bit distended, a fecal is a fantastic idea. I'm rather new to beardies myself, with a rescue of my own, and there's nothing better than seeing these sweeties get healthy and happy. There are some really experienced individuals on the forum that check posts pretty much daily. They'll be able to give you a ton of good info and support. They've been fantastic!

Congratulations on finding Nismo, and keep us posted. I'm rooting for her, and hoping for good news for her vet visit!
Thank you! The big belly was just from her having a giant cricket and blueberry feast.

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like you are doing everything right! I would change the UVB bulb out just because you don't know how old it is and you want to make sure that she is getting optimal UVB coverage. Since she is so skinny I would try to bump up her basking temp a few degrees. 95-100 is good for adults but since she is so malnourished, I would do 100-105 for a bit until she gets more healthy.
I tried doing her temps 100+ and whenever it got up that high she would run and get under her hide on the cool side. And the old owner said the UVB was 4 months old but it's a cool bulb so I planned on getting a new one anyway. Thanks so much!

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
*coil bulb. And I've also been taking her outside a couple times a day to get some natural sunlight as I'm in VA and it's high 90s here. She's been going out about 3 times a day for 10 minutes (I can't stand any longer than that) as I've heard that 30min natural UVB is equal to 12 hours artificial lighting UVB.

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a weight on her on a food scale of 300g but she still has a pretty full belly from breakfast

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
And I'm not sure how accurate that scale is because even for a full belly that seems too much for how skinny she is

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and to this sweet girl.. Your doing a great job and it won't take long for her to catch back up.. I would also suggest getting some probiotics in her to regain and normalize her gut flora. You can sprinkle it on her salads and or bugs or by doing slurries..Great idea on getting her outside to get some natural UVB and 1 hour = 8hours under lamps.
Looking forward to seeing how she fills out :)

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum and to this sweet girl.. Your doing a great job and it won't take long for her to catch back up.. I would also suggest getting some probiotics in her to regain and normalize her gut flora. You can sprinkle it on her salads and or bugs or by doing slurries..Great idea on getting her outside to get some natural UVB and 1 hour = 8hours under lamps.
Looking forward to seeing how she fills out :)
I'm not sure if there's an exact like formula to compare the natural light to lamps? But where I live I've been watching the UV forecast and our UV index is averaging 9-10 currently so she's getting a TON of UVB outside. And I'll definitely get some probiotics I definitely didn't think about that. I have a great little reptile store near me with very knowledgable workers and quality feeders for good prices.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know it's only been a few days but I swear the base of her tail has gotten thicker

That's great! getting the right foods, moisture and love does wonders!!!

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: tail seems a little thicker and her head is starting to fill in. Definitely still sunken in but not as much. Sorry it's dark and she was sitting in her salad while eating it lol
a0d09ca1a17f384427c5bf4d6478dcf1.jpg
d0103fcf2f0d6d140d850b3b2c815f0c.jpg
5c0e502ba4331b8230fad04e05d60e0d.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great! She is getting hydrated and eating good food, she will thrive. She is soo dark that is interesting.

Nesteremily

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is great! She is getting hydrated and eating good food, she will thrive. She is soo dark that is interesting.
She was on the dark side of the tank and my dog had just come in the room. She doesn't like him very much lol. On the other hand, when I take her outside she goes 10 shades lighter
0d914205cc1d9397975d3a88dd8e8d61.png

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
*coil bulb. And I've also been taking her outside a couple times a day to get some natural sunlight as I'm in VA and it's high 90s here. She's been going out about 3 times a day for 10 minutes (I can't stand any longer than that) as I've heard that 30min natural UVB is equal to 12 hours artificial lighting UVB.

Yes, def get rid of the coil bulb and get a T5 tube bulb. You want it to cover at least 2/3'ds of your tank.They do say that 1 hour outside= 8 hours under the lamp.

Latest posts