• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Outdoor Enclosure - BUT.....

BDNewbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I saw this online and had to build it. Thanks to my Dear Husband because it was harder than I thought on my own and turned out much larger than I anticipated lol.... This is only for the occasional supervised use. I was using a netted hamper and closing off the top but as she got bigger I thought she deserved better... and Whaala!

I was SOOO excited to put her in it for the 1st time. At first she seemed to enjoy it. She walked around, licked stuff, THEN, when I went to take her out, she black bearded and hissed at me. She has never displayed this behavior. At first I thought she enjoyed her new space so much and was saying, NO! Mom, Let me stay in here! So I left her alone for a while longer.

Then I realized she seemed to be scared? The breeze seemed to scare her, My Daughter and I walking around talking to her seemed to startle her. :( After lots of black bearding, hissing and running all around crazy when I attempted to take her out I finally had to get her out by putting a dish towel over her. I was so upset that I had to do that. I have not put her back in for 2 weeks now because that experience was very sad for me.

So I am asking if anyone has experienced this or has any input, advice. I hate for this enclosure to go to waste. Some things I wonder:

- Was she maybe overwhelmed by the size of it?
- Did the top and sides being open stress her out vs. her indoor tank having 3 sides and a top that she can't see through?
- I planned to but would filling it with more stuff help?
- Does she just need more time in it to adjust?

I ABSOLUTELY hated the experience of what I felt was her scared of me or the environment and hate to go through that again.

Thank in advance!

Shiva's Outdoor enclosure.jpg

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
So I saw this online and had to build it. Thanks to my Dear Husband because it was harder than I thought on my own and turned out much larger than I anticipated lol.... This is only for the occasional supervised use. I was using a netted hamper and closing off the top but as she got bigger I thought she deserved better... and Whaala!

I was SOOO excited to put her in it for the 1st time. At first she seemed to enjoy it. She walked around, licked stuff, THEN, when I went to take her out, she black bearded and hissed at me. She has never displayed this behavior. At first I thought she enjoyed her new space so much and was saying, NO! Mom, Let me stay in here! So I left her alone for a while longer.

Then I realized she seemed to be scared? The breeze seemed to scare her, My Daughter and I walking around talking to her seemed to startle her. :( After lots of black bearding, hissing and running all around crazy when I attempted to take her out I finally had to get her out by putting a dish towel over her. I was so upset that I had to do that. I have not put her back in for 2 weeks now because that experience was very sad for me.

So I am asking if anyone has experienced this or has any input, advice. I hate for this enclosure to go to waste. Some things I wonder:

- Was she maybe overwhelmed by the size of it?
- Did the top and sides being open stress her out vs. her indoor tank having 3 sides and a top that she can't see through?
- I planned to but would filling it with more stuff help?
- Does she just need more time in it to adjust?

I ABSOLUTELY hated the experience of what I felt was her scared of me or the environment and hate to go through that again.

Thank in advance!

View attachment 17160
My bearded gets scared outside and feels safer when he is on me and my hand is helping support him. Idk if that is the case here, but my beardie jumps at sights, sounds, etc. I just pet him and say shhhh...it's ok. He calms down. Hopefully someone with more experience gets back to you.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi. nice build. don't give up on it - she will need some time to adjust. I think you're absolutely right about too much space - especially if she is used to a more enclosed environment. cover the sides and give her some places inside to hide. she's VERY exposed !!! cover it up and open it up gradually. she's not scared of you - hang in there

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That is a real nice enclosure! She just needs some more time to adjust to the outdoors. Like Canicke said, give her some hides in there so when she does get scared she has somewhere to go. Mine, even though the are brought outside sorta often, they still get scared by the breeze and noises and such.

BDNewbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Everyone! Generally she enjoys going outside and sits with me, etc... So I am sure the issue with the enclosure is a vulnerability type of issue. I will try covering 3 sides to start and adding more stuff/hides (I intended too) and give it another shot this weekend. Keep you posted.

Latest posts