• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here

hankat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I am new here. In september/october/ November we got 3 bearded dragons from prominent breeders on Morph market.

One of them, Sunset, has been small and never was a great eater. When I told the breeder he said she’s just growing at her own pace. Two months ago I found out not only was she ADV+ but also blind. A couple weeks ago one of the others who was previously very healthy stopped eating and tested positive for ADV. Our third one is healthy, came from a different breeder and has yet to be tested. Seems like with how contagious it is, it’s very likely our third one is positive. Sunset now gets most of her nutrition from being syringe fed critical care and beardie buffet. She seems to enjoy being syringe fed.

I came here hoping to find more info on how people manage these guys lives with the virus. Our vet said it used to be a death sentence and now people can manage them medically for long periods of time. They don’t have any neurological symptoms but have poor appetites and seem to get parasites easily. The second one to get sick is not visually impaired thankfully. The vet said she seems very healthy otherwise.

When I talked to the breeder they made it sound like all bearded dragons carry ADV and can test positive… but I’m reading a lot of stuff to the contrary and it’s not really what the vet said. Why is there so much conflicting opinion out there about bearded dragons?

We’re very commited to our dragons despite their special needs.

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpeg
    IMG_9839.jpeg
    860.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9914.jpeg
    IMG_9914.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. I am new here. In september/october/ November we got 3 bearded dragons from prominent breeders on Morph market.

One of them, Sunset, has been small and never was a great eater. When I told the breeder he said she’s just growing at her own pace. Two months ago I found out not only was she ADV+ but also blind. A couple weeks ago one of the others who was previously very healthy stopped eating and tested positive for ADV. Our third one is healthy, came from a different breeder and has yet to be tested. Seems like with how contagious it is, it’s very likely our third one is positive. Sunset now gets most of her nutrition from being syringe fed critical care and beardie buffet. She seems to enjoy being syringe fed.

I came here hoping to find more info on how people manage these guys lives with the virus. Our vet said it used to be a death sentence and now people can manage them medically for long periods of time. They don’t have any neurological symptoms but have poor appetites and seem to get parasites easily. The second one to get sick is not visually impaired thankfully. The vet said she seems very healthy otherwise.

When I talked to the breeder they made it sound like all bearded dragons carry ADV and can test positive… but I’m reading a lot of stuff to the contrary and it’s not really what the vet said. Why is there so much conflicting opinion out there about bearded dragons?

We’re very commited to our dragons despite their special needs.
I am sorry about your dragons- there is a vet tech on this board that is doing research on ADV -- I am posting to her so she can respond to your questions etc
@Drache613

hankat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am sorry about your dragons- there is a vet tech on this board that is doing research on ADV -- I am posting to her so she can respond to your questions etc
@Drache613
I am a vet tech also of 20 years but I only work on dogs and cats… this is all new to me but we’re ultra committed!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have sent her another message - she is the best person to help you w/ this

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Sorry you are having some trouble with Adeno, it tends to be a problem with some of the breeders
if they inbreed which weakens their immune systems.
Let's review your tan setup, perhaps a few changes might help out. Are you using a good UVB light
in all 3 tans, or are they all housed separately, correct?
What type of supplements do you give to them? Adeno tends to attack their immune systems, namely
their liver & their GI tract making it harder for them to digest & or fight coccidial infections, etc.
Try to keep them a little warmer overnight, to help boost their systems.
Which one of them is blind? Can she eat on her own?
I would try switching to liquid calcium for a higher & easier absorption rate for them, especially if they
are having trouble with absorption.

Tracie

Latest posts