• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Breeding Article

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A new article about breeding bearded dragons has been added to our main site. It is very informative regarding the breeding process and what the humans need to do to prepare for the babies.

Here is the link to the article:

Breeding Bearded Dragons

We want to gvie a special thanks to crypticdragons for writing and donating the article to mybeardie.com!

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheWolfmanTom said:
Not Bad,
Good read.
indeed.
now, hows about a part two about 1) the responsibilities of what happens next to all those baby dragons
2) what guidelines there are out there regarding various issues related to the problems of overbreeding
3) has anyone been keeping track of whether captive bred dragons in the USA are loosing any of their natural instincts and behaviors?
[i have a siamese cat who was not wisely bred -- there's a lot of info out there on the visual signs of overbreeding of siameses, but he has something worse: fragile intestinal fabric that makes it very difficult for him to digest food -- are there similar dangers with dragons?!]
athena

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
are you speaking towards an article more leaned towards the problem associated with inbreeding and the thinning gene pool in the us? and an after care article would not be a bad idea. and there have not been any studies to my knowledge of the loss of instinctual behaviors with captive born dragons but i do know that many of their wild characteristics have changed and been lost IE colors, scales, eye color, and over all immune system strength.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brian, that was a cohesive and informative article ! Not that I would ever breed, it is still a good read !
Thanks !
Janie.

athena

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
are you speaking towards an article more leaned towards the problem associated with inbreeding and the thinning gene pool in the us? and an after care article would not be a bad idea. and there have not been any studies to my knowledge of the loss of instinctual behaviors with captive born dragons but i do know that many of their wild characteristics have changed and been lost IE colors, scales, eye color, and over all immune system strength.
yeah that's what i was thinking of, although [based on some of your comments on another thread] the question of overbreeding a particular female is an issue as well -- the overall immune system degading is an issue i hadn't heard about, but yeah, absolutely that sort of thing should be documented along with the issue of where the line is for how much inbreeding is OK -- also whether there's been any loss of natural survival instinct reactions due to captive breeding practices -- i've read some comments about dragons being stupid enough to walk through their own poop and needing their owners to clean them off [is that a behavior that's new? -- my 13 year old lifts his tail, never steps in it and moves to the other end of the viv to wait for the servants to clean the mess up].
athena

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Na, like any animal, some are just less fastidious than others ;)
Janie.

Latest posts