• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new beardie owner, needing help or advice (poor appetite, runny poop)

xmorrigann

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello, i got my leatherback bearded dragon zuko 4 days ago. he is 6 months old and 11 inches head to tail tip, and is currently going to shed.
his basking spot is 100-110 degrees at all times, and his uvb lamp is a T5 HO 10.0 Reptisun tube fixture. His basking lamp is a 100w bulb.
While Zuko has been with me, he’s pooped twice— he goes every other day when I soak him to help with hydration. However, the first time he went to the bathroom it looked a bit softer than normal, and the second time it was not solid at all and had a lot of liquid. I’m wondering if this is relocation stress? It kinda smelled but it wasn’t a bad smell.. I currently have him eating superworms and various greens such as kale, turnip, and mustard greens. im going to be ordering him dubias this weekend because I’m aware that superworms are the best staple insect. On the topic of eating, he hasn’t eaten much at all and I’m worried. He’s only eaten two supers a day and occasionally a leaf or two of kale. He basks all day and sleeps on me when I take him out. I’m just worried, could something be wrong? Thanks in advance. I’ve attached a picture of him just because as well.

Attachments

• 182F4FC1-2344-488D-A67C-F8DEE6F27B54.jpeg
    182F4FC1-2344-488D-A67C-F8DEE6F27B54.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Cute little guy! He's just having relocation stress plus shedding makes them a little crazy. Sounds like he may just be having looser poop because of the at content in superworms. Dragons can get over hydrated causing a lot of liquid. Temps are good as long as he has a cool side to go to get out of the heat. Lighting sounds good to me but you'll likely get other opinions on that. Just let him chill for a few days to get used to everything. Talk to him and let him know your hands are treat givers and that you're not gonna eat him. I was so freaked out when I got my baby I didn't sleep for a week! It may take him a couple of weeks to get situated. I accused mine of being anorexic at first!! In the meantime, establish a routine and just watch for signs of dehydration. Enjoy him hon. He'll be ok.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hello, i got my leatherback bearded dragon zuko 4 days ago. he is 6 months old and 11 inches head to tail tip, and is currently going to shed.
his basking spot is 100-110 degrees at all times, and his uvb lamp is a T5 HO 10.0 Reptisun tube fixture. His basking lamp is a 100w bulb.
While Zuko has been with me, he’s pooped twice— he goes every other day when I soak him to help with hydration. However, the first time he went to the bathroom it looked a bit softer than normal, and the second time it was not solid at all and had a lot of liquid. I’m wondering if this is relocation stress? It kinda smelled but it wasn’t a bad smell.. I currently have him eating superworms and various greens such as kale, turnip, and mustard greens. im going to be ordering him dubias this weekend because I’m aware that superworms are the best staple insect. On the topic of eating, he hasn’t eaten much at all and I’m worried. He’s only eaten two supers a day and occasionally a leaf or two of kale. He basks all day and sleeps on me when I take him out. I’m just worried, could something be wrong? Thanks in advance. I’ve attached a picture of him just because as well.
He looks like hes losing weight --- and yes no more super worms those are for treats only --- Please get the dubias ordered ASAP --- is he basking? for how long? Where is the UVB top of screen or inside the tank placement and distance is crucial - placement will depend on the screen

xmorrigann

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks like hes losing weight --- and yes no more super worms those are for treats only --- Please get the dubias ordered ASAP --- is he basking? for how long? Where is the UVB top of screen or inside the tank placement and distance is crucial - placement will depend on the screen
He basks most of the day, I take him out twice a day just to hang out. The uvb is on top of the screen, as I have no way of situating it inside the tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He basks most of the day, I take him out twice a day just to hang out. The uvb is on top of the screen, as I have no way of situating it inside the tank.
What kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? If it's a fine screen it needs to be unobstructed if it's a wide holed type it can stay on top distance for unobstructed 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor wide holed 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor-- this is absolutely crucial to the health of the dragon the screen is blocking 30% of the rays therefore he is not getting enough uvb- and can't absorb the calcium he's ingesting-- you may haft to cut the screen to accommodate the uvb - I have some stuff that you can use to hang in the tank - please adjust your dragon won't eat w/ out proper uvb

xmorrigann

Bearded Dragon Egg
What kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? If it's a fine screen it needs to be unobstructed if it's a wide holed type it can stay on top distance for unobstructed 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor wide holed 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor-- this is absolutely crucial to the health of the dragon the screen is blocking 30% of the rays therefore he is not getting enough uvb- and can't absorb the calcium he's ingesting-- you may haft to cut the screen to accommodate the uvb - I have some stuff that you can use to hang in the tank - please adjust your dragon won't eat w/ out proper uv
What kind of screen fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type? If it's a fine screen it needs to be unobstructed if it's a wide holed type it can stay on top distance for unobstructed 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor wide holed 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor-- this is absolutely crucial to the health of the dragon the screen is blocking 30% of the rays therefore he is not getting enough uvb- and can't absorb the calcium he's ingesting-- you may haft to cut the screen to accommodate the uvb - I have some stuff that you can use to hang in the tank - please adjust your dragon won't eat w/ out proper uvb
It’s fine mesh, I’ll cut a space to allow the lamp to shine through unobstructed

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s fine mesh, I’ll cut a space to allow the lamp to shine through unobstructed
After you get it situated watch his behavior you should notice a difference right away

xmorrigann

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are some more pictures of him for you to look at

Attachments

• 4C97719E-A34D-4083-BB22-2FC9E8E57282.jpeg
    4C97719E-A34D-4083-BB22-2FC9E8E57282.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 7B4EB3C2-C9F9-45FB-B408-CF22D946DF41.jpeg
    7B4EB3C2-C9F9-45FB-B408-CF22D946DF41.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 14BCE260-3670-424D-835E-9864BE0E7B4E.jpeg
    14BCE260-3670-424D-835E-9864BE0E7B4E.jpeg
    851.2 KB · Views: 9

xmorrigann

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just got the dubias ordered and I cut a hole in the screen! Hopefully he does better soon. Is there anything else I can be doing in the meantime to try and get him to eat greens? He refuses them as of now.. lol

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just got the dubias ordered and I cut a hole in the screen! Hopefully he does better soon. Is there anything else I can be doing in the meantime to try and get him to eat greens? He refuses them as of now.. lol
ok good w/ the UVB unobstructed his eating should pick up you could order him some BSFL as well add those to the tops of his salads --they are another staple feeder DO NOT dust them they are small so order large --- they will make a great compliment to his dubias --- feed as many as you want -- its great hes eating his salads too feed as much as he wants for thoe -- he will need his dubias every day till hes a year old or so then the diet will flip to mainly salads -- you wont haft to worry about dusting his insects w/ the vitamins then as hes eating those salads he will get most of his nutrients from them-- the insects will go to 2-3 times per week and D3 only once a week w/ calcium w/ NO phosphorus 2-3 times per week --

Latest posts