• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My parents hate roaches

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Both of my parents have a very deep rooted issue with roaches. If its called a roach, they dont like it. I dont blame them, if you grew up in the country, you would despise roaches too. Dubia roaches seem to be by far the best feeder for bearded dragons. How would I convince them that roaches arent going to infest our house or somethin.

Even before I got Manny, I mentioned dubia roaches and they immediately put their foot down. They said anything other than roaches. But roaches are the best for Manny[emoji30]and i hate crickets so much[emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well you could give them info like: They don't climb, they don't smell, they don't make noise, they can't survive outside of "their environment" to survive to breed as they need the constant heat, the constant humidity..They are amazing feeder bugs full of good nutrition..

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
explain that they are completely different to the roaches you get where you live. If any did escape you would find them belly up. They fact that they cant climb up smooth surfaces means they are very easy to contain. Dubias are woodland critters, they wont do well in our environment

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Start with a small amount in a container and let them build their tolerance up. I hate roaches and my boyfriend was dead set against them. We went to a show one day where they had them in their containers just crawling around. We watched them for quite awhile before he decided to buy just one container to try them out. Now we have a whole tank full! They don't look like the roaches we all are used to growing up with.

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
I am a senior and believe me I wasn't going to have roaches in my house. What convince me to try was the smell of crickets! I cleaned them out everyday but yet they always smelled. And it never failed that one or two always escaped. So I tried roaches in a small container. I was amazed! They didn't jump nor did they smell. I am not ready to do a colony but for now I will buy them with a big smile on my face. I keep them in a 10 gal aquarium with mesh screen and it's great.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I am a senior and believe me I wasn't going to have roaches in my house. What convince me to try was the smell of crickets! I cleaned them out everyday but yet they always smelled. And it never failed that one or two always escaped. So I tried roaches in a small container. I was amazed! They didn't jump nor did they smell. I am not ready to do a colony but for now I will buy them with a big smile on my face. I keep them in a 10 gal aquarium with mesh screen and it's great.

That's how I keep mine too. In a 10 gallon with a mesh top and lots of egg crates for hiding.

Latest posts