• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My bearded dragon doesn't like me. Or anyone else.

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all. I had a thread on this a while back, but its been a while and my beardie has grown a few inches since then. He is probably about 9 inches long now, and I got him when he was about 4 inches. I must admit that I do not handle him every day, sometimes I will go up to 4 days without touching him. Due to work and school and various other things that interfere with my ability to handle him every day. I will just feed him his crickets and maybe hand feed him some small collard greens.

He definitely does not like to be touched. Every time I pick him up I can count on getting bit and him struggling to escape the entire time. At his small size, this makes things even harder. Its very difficult for me to keep a good hold on him without crushing him. As a result, he often jumps out of my hands and will fall to the ground and land on the carpet. He even bounced his head off the side of the tank stand today.

But, I do handle him when I can. Sometimes I get to handle him every day for a few minutes each day. For example I have held him (or at least tried to) for about 4 minutes for the past 4 days. What's going on here? Why isn't he tame by now? I won't be able to keep him if he is this way when he's an adult, or even just bigger than he is now. For obvious reasons. All the reviews I read said that bearded dragons are quite docile and make great pets. Some say they even seem to grow to like people, and get depressed when they're put in a room where people seldom come to see them. This is not my experience. Mine is angry all the time, and wants nothing at all to do with people. What's gone wrong? I'm afraid I'm running out of time to tame him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just an idea:

When you pick him up out of his tank do you put your hand over him and pick him up from his back? They have something called a third eye that senses danger from overhead. You should put your hand down in front of him and slide it under him and you can pick him up supporting his belly and his back legs. Once he gets older and used to you handling him, he may be okay with you picking him up other ways but this is a good start.

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
He never lets me get that far. He will just run to each corner of the tank. I end up having to pick him up by his back if I ever want to catch him. He's in a 40 gallon tank.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hmmm, maybe you need to put a divider in his tank to make it a little smaller. Could be overwhelmed with so much space to run around in.

TEAMGREEN5252

Bearded Dragon Egg
i have one of my 7 that is doing the same thing right now...but he is almost 7 months old and 15 inches long. i have found he is totally fine when he is around the other dragons but is a little pissy with my girl friend and i. i have talked to a handful of people that say it is very possible this is a phase he is going through and should come around in a few weeks to even a few months. i make sure to handle him every day as much as i possibly can. i know this wasnt super helpful but your not alone.

bennylava

Hatchling Dragon
Well it was helpful, so thanks for the reply. That gives me some hope at least. I'll try putting a divider in the tank. He seldom uses the other half of the tank anyway, so its not like he'll miss it.

TEAMGREEN5252

Bearded Dragon Egg
Knubbs stopped being a JERK today!!! First good day we have had!!! Took him out to put him in the feed tank and for the first time he didnt try to bite me...then my girlfriend took him out when he was finished and he chilled on her shoulder while she made dinner and then as we ate dinner. He jumped down off her and came over and climbed up on me and sat on my lap for almost an hour!! THERE IS HOPE but we took him out every day and held him and loved him even through his little phase... but its hopefully over and we have 7 happy dragons instead of 6 happy and one very angry!!

jon brown

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know this is gonna sound absolutely ridiculous and crazy... but here it goes... have you tried talking to your dragon? I had the same problem when I got mine. I got him as a rescue my kid had some little punk friend that had him in a 10 gal tank with a huge water dish and some tree looking thing so he had no room and was miserable. Anyway when he first came to me I couldn't get near him without getting hissed at and nearly bitten not even near the tank. When I was able to get him out he would run and look back at me and run some more. So one day I started talking to him yes like he was a person and within about a week I never had another problem. Now 2 years later I take him out and he curls up on my wife or myself and will go to sleep like he is a dog.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That is not ridiculous and crazy! I talk to my girls all the time! I even sing to Dexter, I have a horrible singing voice but she looks at me and smiles and closes her eyes as if I was the best in the world :)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I would talk to Banyon before I picked him up, and nearly each time I passed by his tank. Also when i held him. He would cock his head and look at me all funny lol. I've heard they can recognize people's voices so I talked to him from the start :)

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
I think one of the best things You can do is talk to them. When I first got Puff I made sure I said her name everytime I walked by her tank. I still say hi every time I walk by and ofcourse talk to her while im feeding, holding, etc. I feel like shes definitely learning her name, I can be across the room and if she hears her name she perks up and streatches to see where I am.

Latest posts