• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moved! Heating questions

eliuly

Hatchling Dragon
I moved into a new apartment. Although I love the space, it is a basement apartment in Detroit, so it is fairly chilly. The temperature hovers just below 70 typically, which is colder than the temperature my beardie was at before. Adding to this, I also moved him into a bigger enclosure.
I am having trouble keeping temps at their usual and am planning on getting a ceramic heat emitter to supplement this. However, I have some questions;
Is this the best option?
Can this be left on for periods during the day?
Should I also get a night time heat bulb?
Are there any better alternatives?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think you can put a CHE on a thermostat that will turn it on and off when it reaches the correct temperature. It's okay for the temps to drop at night, as long as it's no lower than 65 degrees. We live in an old apartment building and I don't think it's well insulated. With the cold my temps have been hovering around 67 and Dexter and Luci are just fine.

eliuly

Hatchling Dragon
I think you can put a CHE on a thermostat that will turn it on and off when it reaches the correct temperature. It's okay for the temps to drop at night, as long as it's no lower than 65 degrees. We live in an old apartment building and I don't think it's well insulated. With the cold my temps have been hovering around 67 and Dexter and Luci are just fine.
Yeah, my apartment is old as dirt, so I don't think it's too insulated either.
I did get him a little night heat lamp. I was just concerned because he seems sleepier now, but the temps don't ever go below 65.
For good measure I also put a space heater near his and my snakes enclosure

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think this weather is really doing a number on our babies this year. Dexter is loving it and she's been acting her normal self but Luci has just shut down. He walks around his tank with the sleepiest eyes but he refuses to give up, because he may miss something.

eliuly

Hatchling Dragon
I think this weather is really doing a number on our babies this year. Dexter is loving it and she's been acting her normal self but Luci has just shut down. He walks around his tank with the sleepiest eyes but he refuses to give up, because he may miss something.
Yeah, my little baby is the sleepiest little dude. Quite the contrast from his sprightly self this fall. I've just made sure to get him an extra intense lamp for his hot spot. I can't wait until this weather blows over and it gets warmer. My mother in law and I are making a little beardie-friendly section of the garden to take him out on a harness with him :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wish I had a yard that I could let them run in. I live in an apartment and we don't even have grass in front of the house. I still bring them out and let them sit on the porch for a bit. Dexter is good she will sit still but I have a leash for Luci, he's a bit fast.

Latest posts