• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms, yes or no?

Angelo L

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just recentally got a Bearded Dragon and I been reading up on info about diets and feeding. While I was looking up info I ran across a site that said that i shouldn't feed my Beardie mealworms. Is this true?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Stay away from mealworms. How big is your beardie? If it's big enough then it can eat Superworms. If not feed crickets, reptiworms, or roaches (if not in Florida).

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Meal worms have been a staple diet since long before I started into the hobby. We had 2 choices to feed our animals. Crickets or Meal Worms.

Today we have a bazillion feeders at our finger tips. Do I feed Meal Worms? Nope. I use roaches as my staple feeder. Are meal worms a bad feeder? Nope. They aren't the greatest compared to some of the other options available on the market today, but... they are still a popular feeder and you can feed them with confidence to your animals providing your 'Basic Husbandry' is up to par including hydration.

If you are careful with them you shouldn't run into any problems. Remember, animals are just like humans in this case. For example, I can eat quarter pounders till I puke and have good cholesterol levels, my wife can't. Certain dragons are prone to impaction.

That being said, I do not recommend using them as a staple Prey item or feeding them to young BDs, as they are harder to digest than a lot of other choices. Periodic feeding to older Juveniles & up should not be problematic. But there are much better feeders generally readily available.

Remember those quarter pounders I like? SHOULD I really be eating those? No... But if I'm not hammering down 15 a day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be the deciding factor of my demise!

Angelo L

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is only about 6 or 7 weeks old so i don't think it's time to feed him any sort of worm yet. I will keep this advice in mind for future times, Thank you. I was also wondering when would be a good time to start adding greens to my beardie's diet?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
While it may not take to them for a while, it is a good idea to have them available for when they choose to try them out. So to answer your question, 'now'. A fresh supply of a small amount of Baby bite size greens should always be made available to them, in a low sided dish so they can readily see them without climbing, to start with. Some will take to them early, others may not for months, but should be there, whether they eat them or not.

Until it does take to them, regular misting & warm soaks should be given to help with hydration & shedding & are a necessity.

Good luck,

Angelo L

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for answering my questions, i really appreciate it. When you say "warm soaks" what do you mean by that?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
By warm soaks, we mean filling a clean sink, tub or other container to a level up to it's armpits when standing with warm water. Temperature should be slightly warm to the touch, test it similar to testing the temp of a baby's bottle, just slightly warmer, but never hotter than recommended basking temps. Put your dragon in it and let it flail around in it for 10-15 minutes. Generally they will try to climb the sides to get out for the first little while, but usually will soon settle down. Although BDs are desert creatures, they are very capable swimmers. They will inflate their body with air, like a balloon to enable them to float. They can submerge for short periods of time without issue on their own, never 'Dunk' them yourself. One of mine, actually seems to enjoy swimming under water for short spurts. Some BDs will take to water better than others, but they usually will get used to it. This is a necessary part of BD husbandry, whether they like it or not. It serves 3 purposes, helps with Hydration, many, not all, BDs will noticeably drink while in the tub. Secondly it helps shedding. No. 3 is mentioned below ;) . A weekly soak is recommend when young, twice a week when in shed to help loosen the dead skin. Never help a shed along by peeling it, wet or dry. Once it slows down growing, the soak frequency can be changed to 2-3 times a month. Never soak them Unsupervised!

You will find that more times than not, your BD will 'Poop' in the bath, drain & refill with clean warm water when this happens. Generally it will only happen once per soak. This can be a good thing to help 'Clean' it out of minor constipation &/or impactions. I have found that after a bath, is a good time for allowing them to wander around & explore once they are a little bigger so as not to be able to climb into small spaces that are difficult to get them out of, to avoid messy 'Accidents'. If you have ever had one 'Poop' on your carpet, you will understand what I mean :p.

Check out the Care sheet at the top of 'General Discussion' for other good 'Basic' info & suggestions.

gmguychad

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feed my BD's a variety of live food. Every once in a while(when I find them) they get live pinkies and these big roaches. Mostly their diet is crickets and superworms. Their greens diet consists of collard greens, mustard greens, bananas, strawberries, squash, romain lettuce, and spinach. I hope that I am on the right track with this diet...they seem fat and happy. :)
I have never fed them mealworms.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'd go with Superworms for your Beardie, not mealworms.

I hope this link works for you, it wouldn't let me copy the last '... If not, the challenge is under BD Diet, round about the 3rd page in.

Mealie Basher 'Challenge

I feed my BD's a variety of live food. Every once in a while(when I find them) they get live pinkies and these big roaches. Mostly their diet is crickets and superworms. Their greens diet consists of collard greens, mustard greens, bananas, strawberries, squash, romain lettuce, and spinach. I hope that I am on the right track with this diet...they seem fat and happy. :)
I have never fed them mealworms.
I wouldn't feed them the pinkies unless they're underweight or are knocked up or just laid a clutch, very high in fat. The roaches, crickets and supes, collard greens, mustard greens, and squash are great, I would cut out the bananas, romaine, and spinach, any fruit should be on an occasional basis however I believe strawberries are fine. Here's a good link to find out for sure what's good and what isn't, and unlike me, it has why ratios ;). As far as I know, mealies don't pose any real risk especially not if your bd is well hydrated, and they aren't recommended for baby bds, but you have to feed an awful lot of them to a full grown dragon to get it full.

Bearded Dragon Diet Nutritional Information

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i thought so long as you did not over do it pinkys were ok as treats every few months or so.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i thought so long as you did not over do it pinkys were ok as treats every few months or so.
That is basically correct, but as Aleen mentioned, they are a fatty, unnecessary food. They have their place under certain circumstances, but generally unnecessary.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is basically correct, but as Aleen mentioned, they are a fatty, unnecessary food. They have their place under certain circumstances, but generally unnecessary.
for future referance, when my BD is big enough to eat one, after eating one how long should i wait to feed it again?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Shoot I'm waiting on the day I can feed one to my Kyuubi. I get to mess with my sister and tell her my BD has a taste for animal flesh and is going to eat her next

Latest posts