• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Loves his crickets, not eating his veggies

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey everyone!

I got Jethro from PetCo almost 2 years ago. It will be 2 years this August. When he was younger he didn't have too many problems eating his veggies and crickets. Now though, at almost 1 pound in weight (he's 389 grams), he only eats his crickets or super worms (occasional not daily on super worms). Also he doesn't go to the bathroom as often. Sometimes once or twice a week. About a week ago he was going just about every day, sometimes twice. I don't get it. I change his food out often, and water.

He's in a 40 gallon tank (all I can afford for now), he is 20 inches long from head to tail with room to grow. I don't know what else to try. He used to love turnip greens and butternut squash. I don't know if he's refusing them because of weather changes, or if it's 'cause I'm cutting it up and blending it to almost a pudding (afraid he'll choke on it otherwise). Call me the paranoid mom, but I just want what's best for him. I offer him fresh veggies daily but he still doesn't seem interested.

Vet said he was doing great though (and I clean tanks of course... thorough cleaning 1 a month, and change paper towels a couple times a week).

Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong so I can try to fix it, I just want him to be eating his veggies. It drives me nuts. I know as they get older, they'll want more veggies, but the fact that he only licks them occasionally, it drives me nuts!

Veggies I've tried:

Turnip greens (likes okay), butternut squash (loved it earlier on), summer squash, mustard greens, collard greens, bok choy, apples (he used to like), grapes, blue berries... I just don't know what else to do. I may be over reacting, but it just feels like he should be eating more veggies.

Temps says it's about 80-85 in the warm spot.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How many & how often do you feed the live prey? A BD that age should only have live prey 2-3 times a week. If you are feeding live prey daily, it is likely that it is just filling up on the prey, thus having no interest in the greens. I don't understand the purpose of puree-ing the greens prior to feeding, cut into 1" strips\squares will do just fine for an adult.

Good Luck

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've actually tried to slim down his intake on crickets because I thought that may be the problem. About 2 times a week, or 3 like you said. I am trying to get him to understand that he won't always get crickets. That sometimes he'll have to rely on his veggies. He licked the grapes I offered last night, but didn't really eat them. And I offer about 15-20 crickets for each "cricket" feeding session.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He will come around, they have their days, weeks, like some of us do ;) .

Adult's Poops being irregular is quite common & also not uncommon to go a week + between, in my experience is quite normal. If all your specs are up to par, he will go when he needs to ...

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay thanks so much! Guess I'm just the paranoid mom, can't wait 'till I have actual kids of my own... they're gonna look at me like I'm nuts, LOL. Jethro got to spend time with us last night to warm up a bit 'cause it got so cold, we had a heated blanket that helped warm him up enough (not too hot), before going to bed :)

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well Jethro surprised me by eating his veggies this morning lol. Not all but enough to make me happy :)

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol he ate watermelon a bit ago. May try that again. He finally went to the bathroom. I had him out exploring yesterday evening and what does the bugger do? Decides that he is gonna do the "Butt Wiggle Dance" on the carpet! I screamed "OH NO!" and ran to grab him before parents got upset, lol. Managed to get him in the tank and he gave me this "How dare you Mom? That was my bathroom... you just moved me from my bathroom? How would you like it if I did that to you?" look XD

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not too much watermelon, please ... ;), good source of hydration, but little to no nutrition ...

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I have talked a lot on here about how my beardie won't eat his veggies either..well..he FINALLY started too after I used collard greens and put a couple meal worms in there to trick him to think the salad is moving. He was doing great but unfortunately now he already stopped eating his greens but I am not worried, I am sure he will try them again when he is ready!

Latest posts