• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lighting HELP ASAP!!

BDNewbie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Need help fast. I am getting so confused on the proper UVB set-up. I got a new tank for our new BD. The enclosure is 4x2x2.

The lighting is all housed inside. No wire mesh top. I had read that T8 is for inside and T5 for over wire mesh. After reading more and looking on amazon and reading those reviews I feel completely lost. This is all another language to me.

Can you please help? 24in? 36in? Then I see 34in? How does the hood go inside? The current set-up (Bought used) has 3 normal light fixtures installed but no tube light fixture. I realize there is the mercury vapor bulbs, but that won't illuminate the entire tank will it? and I read the tubes are the best.

At this point, I just need some real advice from some real BD owners.

Thanks everyone in advance!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You want to have your tube cover about 2/3 of the enclosure. I have 36 inch fluorescent tubes in my 4x2 enclosures. My 2 ft tall has a T5 bulb since the enclosure is as tall as it is. My 15 inch tall enclosure has a T8. You'll have to secure the fixture to the top. Some fixtures have mounting kits, sine have holes for screws,and others require more modification. It just depends on the fixture you get.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess I am mostly confused about the difference between T5 and T8
T8 tube bulbs don't penetrate mesh tops, have to be replaced every 6 months, they have to be closer to the bulb to get the UVB it puts out.
T5 tube bulbs espec HO 10.0 which is what most of us use, penetrates mesh tops, replaced once a year, has much deeper penetration and much brighter..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The T5 bulb is a stronger bulb. If you have to mount your UVB inside the tank then go with the T8 bulb. You can buy a normal T8 fixture from a hardware store or from Walmart and easily mount it to the top of your tank and put the Reptisun 10.0 bulb in it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The fixture is okay to use, it fits a T8 bulb and should be easy to mount inside the tank and yes you would take the cover off. The ReptiGlo bulb you were looking at is not the best bulb. A ReptiSUN 10.0 is a better bulb or an Arcadia 12%.

Latest posts