• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leopard Gecko Help Please!!

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so...today i went into petco just to get alfalfa pellets for the bearded dragons when the guy there somehow got on the discussion of having an animal that was brought back by someone(a leopard gecko) that was up for adoption for no fee whatsoever.after seeing him he was reminiscent of the one albino i have and i felt obligated to do what i could to help him.i don't have pics but his skin is very pale(paler than usual for an albino as if he has shedding problem-not sure or not-those of you who are familiar with leos would notice and im pretty sure his skin just wont shed) and his eyes are shut most of the time.he will not eat and despite his body not being boney his tail is VERY thin.any advice.....?if he cant crap are their any quick fixes....i have no reptile vets nearby and im in south jersey but do some people give their reps a drop of vege oil to get them to defecate?i just wanna be able to go down a list and rule out possibilities.i gave him flukers carnivore aid(keep in mind its the first day ive had him).

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
give him a humid hide and put him where he can't see anyone i had one she kept her eyes closed all the time till it was night

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i will.idk if ive mentioned it but i soaked him twice earlier...so he should be alright overnight if i put him underneath a hollowed half log w moss?im just nervous...i shouldve know this would be grief but im doing everything i can.hopefully hell be okay in the morning.thank you for responding

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah a humid hide would really help him with shedding. Have you tried feeding him in the evening/nighttime? These guys are nocturnal and will take food more easily during the night. I've never really had any problems with my leos and I wish I could be more help. Could you post a picture?

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i looked up a "crypto" condition that effects some leopard gecko colonies...im praying its not this.hes not vomiting AND having difficulty going to the bathroom...just straining like theres no tommorow but he did crap once last night and it was a small yellow ball and afterwards he tried cleaning himself.theres was no blood but his anal vent looked red on the inside(i think this is normal since hes so pale)......i saw his head shake as if he was straining only once yesterday but hopefully its just impaction-its still deadly and terrible but at least its treatable.the crypto condition is highly contagious among tank mates(luckily the others are separated-there was no way in hell id get them sick..im hoping the sickness if he does have it isnt airborne.)ive tried a 20 minute mineral oil/water soak after researching a video online of how to aid in getting rid of impaction in leos-which is what im hoping it is bc hes shown every symptom of that and then some.i swear if it is ill never keep any of my reptiles on loose calcium sand even if for a brief while.chances are this little guy was bought and fed the bare minimum of what people give the adult ones to live every 3 days-which probably resulted in him feeling deprived so he started eating sand.I hate that bs...every animal should eat everyday when its a baby and even as adults as long as their not obese-just bc a person can go 3 days without food doesnt make it right.

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
his eyes are shut too if that helps and the tanks not dirty just a little disheveled due to me moving stuff around.i keep a dish of calcium w d3 in there with him just in case.
IMG_8100.JPG

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try superworms and keep a water dish in there

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hes still really little...i have meal worms though.i mean hes not hatchling but its barely a juvenile.he just appears older bc hes so rough looking and skinny

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
an update...okay so last night my mom had an anti parasite medication(not panacur i forget the name but she recieved it for a hefty fee for one of her new panther chameleons before)...we gave it to the leo via force feeding with a small syringe.he down it and crapped out the yellow smelly junk twice after.we also gave him an adequate amount of water and cat food/ensure(nutrition drink) mix to fill his little stomach up.today he crapped reddish brown and maybe 2 small dots of the yellow junk.(the reddish brown could very well be the color of the nutrition mix we fed him).anyway...by the horrid smell that came off of his crap last night im hoping if it is a parasite he is fighting it with aid from the meds.im treating him again tonight bc it has to be administered once daily for a total of ten days.i wish someone had extensive experience with leos on here.ive checked other gecko forums but its as if the people are gay and dont bother to go the whole nine yards for sick animals seeing as i found only about two small threads with no helpful responses on one website-just condolances for the person which carried into one of those "omg i love your setup" conversations.it seemed as if the only health problems they bothered to complain and treat were due to poor husbandry resulting in their animals fighting and wounding one another terribly.im glad people on this site care enough to address beardies along with other species

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
eh....i let my mom take care of him bc ive had my hands full with work and wanted someone to monitor him alot.hes doing ok.weve been treating him with everything under the sun but hes still not eating crickets or mealworms.weve been liquifying catfood,calcium,and vitamins along with anti parasite treatment in a syringe and force feeding him...its kind of hard to get him to open his mouth but hes still alive.i wish his tail would fatten up but you cant see his bones in his body so i guess its a good thing.hopefully he comes around sooner or later.ive been making sure the enclosures clean with new paper towels every day and ive been cleaning his tupperware hidebox(hes been in it an awful lot and seems to prefer it over the dry hot area outside of it.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
afriend of mine has a leopard and she uses a heat pad against the side of the glass and no lights and says hers loves it. he hides a bit also though. he's perty:rolleyes:

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah.in another enclusre i have two leos.one was banded with orange and reddish orange and a red tail and im afraid as hes growing hes gonna lose that nice color he has lol...i started to see spots coming out under his chin as of last week so im sort of bummed.im sure he wont look like a typical common adult leo as he wasnt the common jungle pattern as a baby.his cagemate is an anti social yellow/pink/spotted/banded albino and that one is a handful bc god forbid they both see the same cricket.i usually handfeed them to avoid any accidental fights but when i do i have to football block them from one another and even though theyre babys they know what im trying to do so they get pissy and snap when they get fed up with the obstruction of my hand

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the sick leo i posted up top is a sad situation though.on a better note idk if i mentioned it but after using reptile antibacterial eyedrops for a while his eyes are now open all the time and hes more alert than ever.still in quarantine though :/

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i had 2 of them ((male and female)) and when there that small there tail doesnt get fat quick and then all of the sudden it looks to big for the body then the rest fills out they hide a lot and sleep even at night i used greens until they ate crickets and misted them down with lots of water and also had a big dish with water in the tank it helps them absorb more water then need and when they cant hold enough they will start being more active to help burn off that water... it worked for me and i downsized on the water and didnt mist as much and everything turned out right it worked for me and mabe it might help you.... i sold them to my brothers girlfriend and just found out she is going to have healthy baby's

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
idk...as for an update he's still alive but i know he was very sick or has or had some kind of parasite or disease.unfortunately many vets treat reptiles going off of a book or what they read online and you can pretty much buy the same thing they sell you for a 100 bucks for about 15 or less at a pharmacy.if he had crypto hes still living with it.on a better note his tail looks a little fatter and hes more alert than ever...i just wish i knew what his problem was and if it's still dormant

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well thats good i would try everything to figure out the parasite it has had bc they leave traces.... and see if there was any way to treat the skin after the fact.... i know you can with snakes

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
you should definately get some phoenix worms for the little guy. they're the best feeder insect for reptiles; they're the most nutritous feeder insect, known to reverse mbd, low fat content, the best calcium to phosphorus ratio. no hard shell & very easy to maintain. i've read lots about them & they can do wonders for your reptiles health! my beardie loves 'em, he's the happiest, healthiest beardie ever!

Latest posts