• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just adopted...could use some help

BDmomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone, so my husband ans i just adopted our second beardie. All i know is that his parents couldnt take care of him. He was letting us hold him and he was licking us. But since hes home now hes been bobbing his head and trying to escape when opening the trank and has been puffing up. Hes eating and pooping and just finished shedding. How can i get him more comfortable with us and work on those behaviors??

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. Welcome - they lick as a way to "test" the environment - kinda like smelling. The bobbing and puffing are probably due to "relocation stress" - it just takes them a bit of time to adjust to new surroundings. if he just finished shedding - that may be contributing to some of his negative behavior. some will get feisty, some will slow down eating, some will just be grumpy - no 2 the same. time. go slowly with him - my go to is : wear a scarf for a day or so to get your scent on it (or a t shirt) put it in his viv where he sleeps so he can get your scent. work with him in the evening - just before bedtime - when he's sleepy and not so prone to misbehave. he'll come around

BDmomma

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. Welcome - they lick as a way to "test" the environment - kinda like smelling. The bobbing and puffing are probably due to "relocation stress" - it just takes them a bit of time to adjust to new surroundings. if he just finished shedding - that may be contributing to some of his negative behavior. some will get feisty, some will slow down eating, some will just be grumpy - no 2 the same. time. go slowly with him - my go to is : wear a scarf for a day or so to get your scent on it (or a t shirt) put it in his viv where he sleeps so he can get your scent. work with him in the evening - just before bedtime - when he's sleepy and not so prone to misbehave. he'll come around

Thank you, ill try to use one of my scarfs with him.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I think Canicke is right, I've had mine for years and changed 1 of their enclosures, new furniture, etc...I felt sooo bad bcuz my sweetie was completely "out of whack " I didn't know anything at the time, that they can be stressed from changes, I remember how upset I was, this was about 5 yrs ago. He calmed down about 2 wks later. When I went to change another enclosure, I did it 1 fixture at a time over a 2 month period. These guys are a hearty lizard but prone to stress, kinda like us humans in a way, lol. Keep us posted on your beardie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Oh my goodness, I just reread your post and I forgot to address your post . Let him get acclimated to his new mom and dad. Like Canicke said, doing it about an hour b4 he goes to bed take him out, I like to put mine in a washrag, like a burrito and put them on my chest, stroking their little head until they go to sleep. Welcome to the wonderful world of beardie parenthood ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Latest posts